Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I had it for my Iphone 5 and i used it once when my phone was cracked and destoyed... cost was Zero so it payed off for me..

Any thoughts on Applecare Plus +

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Yep. I think it's the cheapest in the Market. Everybody else charges 9.99 or 11.99 a month for 2 years and deductibles are outrageous. Apple customer service is pretty awesome, too. I hate having bulky cases on my phone! So I plan to buy my new iPhone with Applecare+ and no case :)

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Have you guys noticed that Apple now is trying all they can do to NOT repalce a phone but just a glass or button or whatever when in past it was a fast swap?

its 99 bucks still right for it?

IBJanky

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I had it for my Iphone 5 and i used it once when my phone was cracked and destoyed... cost was Zero so it payed off for me..

Any thoughts on Applecare Plus +

How was it zero cost when it says on the Apple website that there is a $79 service fee for accidental damage???

Let me get this straight, you pay $99 just to start AppleCare, and if you break your phone screen accidentally for example, you'd have to shell out an additional $79 to get it fixed?

That's $179 to fix a broken screen? That's kinda steep.

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Have you guys noticed that Apple now is trying all they can do to NOT repalce a phone but just a glass or button or whatever when in past it was a fast swap?

its 99 bucks still right for it?

----------

How was it zero cost when it says on the Apple website that there is a $79 service fee for accidental damage???

Let me get this straight, you pay $99 just to start AppleCare, and if you break your phone screen accidentally for example, you'd have to shell out an additional $79 to get it fixed?

$49 deductible I am sorry my mistake , up to 2 instances

Nah more than screen the whole phone was crshed... so if i didnt have it it would have cost the 700 bucks for new phone.....

it was 79 bucks upon buying the phone and 49 bucks deductible....

----------

Also what i liked was the 2 year access to Applecare Techs.... not the usual 90 day

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014

It is for a screen. However if you drop your phone in water and completely destroy it. Thats $179 for a complete replacement. That's very cheap.

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
It is for a screen. However if you drop your phone in water and completely destroy it. Thats $179 for a complete replacement. That's very cheap.

yup that is what pretty much happened to me... my phone was BEYOND any repair..

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

That's actually not bad at all! the iPhone outright price is way over $600, and if you don't have an upgrade to replace your phone (if it died completely) then you screwed. Applecare+ is actually cheaper than most protection plans. with Best buy you pay $9.99 a month for two years plus $149.99 deductible, that's $389.75!!!! and At&t ($9.99), verizon ($9.99), and sprint ($11.99) have even higher deductibles ($200). Apple also has an amazing customer service and if you need a replacement and don't want to go to an apple store you can use their express replacement service and they will send you a replacement overnight! I've done it twice already with my iPhone 5s and it's like a brand new phone.

dewthedru

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
That's actually not bad at all! the iPhone outright price is way over $600, and if you don't have an upgrade to replace your phone (if it died completely) then you screwed. Applecare+ is actually cheaper than most protection plans. with Best buy you pay $9.99 a month for two years plus $149.99 deductible, that's $389.75!!!! and At&t ($9.99), verizon ($9.99), and sprint ($11.99) have even higher deductibles ($200). Apple also has an amazing customer service and if you need a replacement and don't want to go to an apple store you can use their express replacement service and they will send you a replacement overnight! I've done it twice already with my iPhone 5s and it's like a brand new phone.

however, the out of warranty replacement cost is $269. i'm not sure they'll replace a smashed up phone for that but i think it applies to most damaged phones out of warranty.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

IBJanky

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
Los Angeles, CA

yup that is what pretty much happened to me... my phone was BEYOND any repair..

What do you guys do that you completely destroy your phones?

Maybe a lifeproof case is a better and cheaper solution for you?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Not a doubt in mind. It is the best protection for any iDevice. Carrier insurance is such a waste of money and a hassle to get a replacement in my experience.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Absolutely. One thing I've noticed is everything changes at the Genius Bar when they figure out you have Applecare +. They seem much more interested in resolving my issue even if it involves a more costly solution (e.g., replacing the phone).

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
How long do you have to buy it by? I remember you used to have to get with phone but now a grace period, but I don't remember how long.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I think this has been compared ad nauseum. SquareTrade is also another option. I am curious to see if Apple changes the prices of AppleCare+ deductible given the higher price of the 6 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.