Applecare Plus IPad3 -> IPad4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SpaceCowboy74, Oct 24, 2012.

1. SpaceCowboy74 macrumors newbie

So, if something "accidentally" happened to my IPad 3 and I filed an AppleCare+ request under it, would I get the IPad 4 for essentially a 49.00 upgrade fee?:rolleyes:

2. jackedint macrumors newbie

AppleCare+ / AppleCare

I doubt it. You will get a refurbished iPad 3

Although I have heard AppleCare+ is transferable for a fee? (I need to look into that)

I was also curious about transferring AppleCare on an iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5, if it is even possible or worth it.

3. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

no. you will get the iPad 3

4. nealh macrumors 6502

Maybe so, but it looks like they will not be producing them anymore. So the "refurbs" will go quickly as I assume Apple will lower price to move them.

Are they going to keep a supply for warranty issues? I realize for the next 6mo they should have plenty of iPad3, but AppleCare+ is good for 2 years.

I have never received a product replacement after a product cycle so I have no idea how that would work.

5. taedouni macrumors 65816

That's what I was wondering. I am not going to sell my iPad 3. I purchased the 64GB LTE version so I would lose way too much money. I'm going to wait 1-2 months before trying this out. I'll first call my closest Apple store and ask if they have any refurbished iPad 3. Hopefully within the next few months Apple will have gotten rid of all of them.

6. rkahl macrumors 65816

Nope, you will get an iPad 3. They will never be able to get rid of all of them because Apple refurbishes their products.

7. ereyes1322 macrumors newbie

Depends on store inventory

I was told if the store was out at the time of using your AppleCare plus that manger can authorize to just give you the 4th gen. AppleCare phone support told me this and at my store when I had the iPhone 4 in white and needed to use my AppleCare plus they where out of the 32GB so they gave me the 4S. They do replace it with refribished products however that why they do in store exchange. So heoplefully when I go in next month to use my apple care ill walk out with the 4th gen ipad instead of my ancient 3rd gen.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

There I fixed it for you.

9. nealh macrumors 6502

Have to wonder if Apple intends to move all products to lightning connector including iPhone 4/4S at some point.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Hmm....."Uncle Clyde, can we play with your iPad? PUHLLEEEEESSSEEEE?!?"

"What? Nnnn.......uh, I mean......YES, Sophie!"

"Really?!?"

"Yes! Did you know iPads make great frisbees?"

"They do?!?"

"Certainly!"

The nieces will fix it for ME!

11. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

A manager can authorize anything they want with a valid business case. Unless they are doing it company wide in order to promote the new connector, I doubt they'd replace a 3 with a 4. If you recall there are rare instances when they have been out of a 3GS iPhone customers received a 4 in exchange for the inconvenience. Same thing with the 4 and the 4s. Since they don't produce the 4 anymore in 16gb, customers who need to get theirs replaced may receive a 4s if stock is not available.

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No, you would get an ipad 3, because that is what your Apple Care covers.

They might not be selling the 3 anymore but they are making it. They legally have to so they can honor their warranty etc.

----------

They only do that in extreme cases where they can't produce the needed product for an extended period of time. And it isn't the manager that can approve it. Cupertino makes that call and authorizes it in the warranty system for the applicable time. The managers can't override that system. If it says that the store's outage is a temporary one because you are the X+1 person to have come in that day for the same part, they will be made to order a replacement, they will not be allowed to upgrade up.

And they almost always only authorize it for warranty replacements, NOT damage ones. You broke it, especially for something that isn't potentially life and death like your phone (which for many is now their only phone) and too bad that you have to wait a couple of weeks for a replacement. Not really their concern even if you do have Apple Care.

----------

Breaking it on purpose isn't really insurance fraud. After all, he isn't trying to claim that he has a 4th gen. The only way to try that stunt would be to destroy the serial but if there isn't a readable serial your service rights are void. Same if you put a bullet in it, unlock a purchased with a lock iphone etc.

All these folks are hoping is that since the ipad 3 is no longer a retail item they would get a bump. They won't because service inventory runs on different rules than retail and things stay in product for service long after retail dries up

----------

Yes they are moving all products to the lightning connector but not they won't change up the 4 and 4s. They will let those products die out naturally just like the ipad 2 etc.