iPad Applecare Plus on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ucfgnome, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ucfgnome macrumors newbie

Hi - I have an Applecare plus on my iPad 3, I took it for warranty because I strongly believe it was over heating, the tech at the Store ran some test and said it never over heated. All he offered to do is perform a restore. Now it was heating to a point where I did feel it would hurt my kids using it after periods of a time, but his diagnostic showed it never reached a certain degree of heat.

Now I have till March on my Applecare + coverage, the screen has some damage, but am wondering if that would qualify for a replacement?

Also, would it be better to do the replacement process online?

My other thought is should I just sell it with coverage still available and get an iPad Air.

Would appreciate thoughts.

Last question is if I do get it replaced, do they still had iPad 3 that they replacing with or are they bumping up the replacement, if anyone knows or who's done an exchange through warranty recently.

Thanks!

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i believe that you can get 2 free replacements with the apple care plus. as for the stock they probably have some. but of course that would depend on the stock at the specific apple store you are going to.

3. ucfgnome thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think its better to submit warranty claim online for replacement?

my concern is i made an appt with the tech for our store, but he kind of ignored my concern about it overheating.

he ran a test and said his diagnostic shows it did not overheat that bothered me because i brought it as a legit concern and all he said was to do a restore.

----------

Also since I got the applecare plus prior to the revision, it is $49 to replace.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

you get different service depending on which "genius" you get, at least thats how its been for me. I would go in and explain what happened and hope they replace it. otherwise just pay the 50 dollars to get a new one.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

We don't know what country you're in, so it's hard to give a complete and accurate answer as to the best warranty service option to use.

We don't know what "screen damage" is. If that means "cracks," then why are you worried about the thing eventually getting too warm while your kids use it? If it was my kids, I'd be more concerned about cut fingers.

If the screen is cracked, then take advantage of your coverage - after March, if it's still cracked, you'd have to pay much more than $49 for the repair. Cracks also tend to get worse with time, so even if it's tolerable today, maybe by April it won't be.

If your goal is to get a free replacement, rather than pay the $49? If the screen is cracked, forget about it. The accidental damage takes precedence. Your only chance is if the screen is simply scratched, and that Apple determines there really is a problem with heat due to hardware. The way they determine it's hardware is by doing a "restore as new." New installation of iOS, no apps or data installed. If the problem continues on a "clean" machine after a restore, it's probably hardware.

So, did you do the restore as they suggested? If so, did it make a difference?

If you haven't restored, do it. If you go back to Apple and you still haven't done it, why should you expect different result than the last time?

And, "I think it's too warm" still doesn't mean much. These things are expected to get warm to some degree. Unless it goes outside of what Apple considers to be safe limits, then your chances of a replacement aren't very good.

You want to be sure to get a replacement, rather than the same iPad? Then if your country's AppleCare+ includes express replacement (they ship you a replacement before you send yours in to Apple) take advantage of express replacement service. You'll either get a free repair (if there really is something wrong with the hardware), or a $49 repair if the screen is cracked.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not free. Not if there is physical or liquid damage. You will pay something. Around $50-60 as I recall.

As for the OP, Apple has a particular temp definition for 'overheating' and if it doesn't hit that mark they can't swap it because it is within spec. If it is getting warm, even without hitting that, there is something else going on. Something that might be software related, which isn't a swappable issue either.

Now if there is physical damage that should be enough to want to swap it, even with the costs, if kids are in the mix. Don't want to mess with broken glass after all. And it will be swapped for an iPad 3. They still make them for the service swaps

7. ucfgnome thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean the scratches are on the edge of the screen/casing.

quick follow up if I use the online service request to replace it - do they send a replacement unit or does it come with a box as well?

Thanks