AppleCare PLUS Verizon pre order issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodayoda, Oct 7, 2011.

1. yodayoda macrumors regular

Keep hearing different things from different reps. It would be a joke if Apple doesn't let us add AppleCare plus. The whole situation sucks because the whole point of preordering was to not deal with the store on launch day. Any thoughts ?

2. 00trayn macrumors member

The customer rep I just spoke with was quite clueless on Apple Care +. It seems like we'll be able to order it through Apple. I can't imagine they're not aware of the issue. I'm hoping I can order it online through the Apple store in the next week, or worst case, go into the Apple Store (not something I'd prefer to do on launch weekend... but...) and get it that way. The Verizon insurance is such a rip off. It's $11 a month, and then it's $199 deductible to replace the 32GB phone if you lose or break it enough to need a replacement! I definitely am going with Apple Care + in that case.

3. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I was told to contact customer service and they can add it. The person at the actual store didn't even know about the new AppleCare.

4. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i agree but I'm scared to open my box on the 14th before getting the AppleCare plus issue sorted. What an epic fail on Verizon's part hopefully apple will make up for this.

----------

I called customer service and they can't add it they said to ask retail store smh both are clueless

----------

I called customer service and they can't add it they said to ask retail store smh both are clueless

5. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

This is frustrating. It wasn't until probably 20 minutes after I got my order placed that I realized "Wait.. there was no Apple Care option.."

And like others said all the reps are clueless on what to do (half don't even know about AppleCare+)

6. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

I see no reason why apple won't let us get the AppleCare plus option from a retail store on launch day with an unopened phone

7. wurt, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

wurt macrumors member

Guys, if you ordered from AT&T or Verizon without apple care+, you need to go to a local apple store with a print out of your pre-order confirmation email, which will contain your order and pre-order numbers. if you show this to a person at an apple store and ask them to add apple care+ to your device, they will do it.

You have to do this before the 14th, however.

This is what an apple care representative told me to do, and I am going to try it tonight when i get home from work.

8. 00trayn macrumors member

That's an idea. I could do that on the way home from work if I really wanted to. I have an Apple store less than a mile from my apartment.

9. ONEDVSMOFO macrumors newbie

I've been on an endless loop with Verizon and Apple. I ordered through Verizon's website and was not given the option to purchase the Apple Care Plus. Only their standard phone insurance.

I was going to pre-order through Apple, but right now I have an unlimited data plan. Apple's web site only gives me options for 2/5/10Gb data plans. So I'm scared to order it that route.

I called Apple and asked if I brought in a receipt showing my pre-order with Verizon if they can add Apple Care Plus to the device and was told no. I called my the two closest Apple Stores and both reps. said they had no clue what to do.

I got off the phone with Verizon and was first told that I could not get it through Verizon. But was then told I could get it once I activate the phone. But I feel I was just told this to get me of the phone.... :(

10. mildbill Guest

Went to AT&T store to preorder phone and they told me you could NOT get Applecare + with a preorder.

11. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Hahahahahahah that guy is wrong. Maybe they don't have it to sell yet, but we will be able to add it. Remember that these phones have a 30-day return period. They have no reason to deny you AppleCare+ when you could just box up the phone, return it, then rebuy it with AppleCare+.

12. ONEDVSMOFO macrumors newbie

When you say "we" who do you mean? :cool:

13. MacFan1701 macrumors member

I called Apple and they said as long as we bring the phone in to an Apple Store when we get them next Friday and it is still in mint condition, we can buy AppleCare+. I was also told that the 4S is NOT eligible for standard AppleCare. Hope that helps clear up concerns.

14. icomplain macrumors newbie

Apple Care +

I have been in an endless loop with Verizon and Apple. Apple says they will only sell Apple Care+ if you pre-order the phone through them. But they won't let me sign up for a Family Plan on Verizon. Verizon will set up the plan but doesn't sell Apple Care+. Both are clueless. This is sloppy and embarrassing. Shame on you both.

15. cruisencode macrumors member

Yeah, this is very frustrating. I pre-ordered through Verizon and they had no option for AppleCare+. I went to Apple's site and there is no way to buy just the AppleCare+.

That sucks because I could get it for $87 through my employer's EPP prgram with Apple. :mad:

16. yAak macrumors newbie

yAak

ugh

Yeah, similar issue:
    • Apple pre-order doesn't let me keep my Unlimited Data Plan.
    • VZW pre-order doesn't sell AppleCare+.

I talked to an Apple rep who said I could "take the phone in to a store as soon as it arrives to buy AppleCare+"

... That sounded a little risky, so I called the nearby Apple store to verify this. The woman I spoke to there sounded very informed and ultimately said that I should just wait until the 14th and order it through a physical Apple because the computer gives them the option to keep my existing plan. However, I didn't get a clear answer from her about showing up with a phone ordered thru VZW the day it arrives.

I called Verizon, the woman said that Apple simply does not allow Verizon to sell the AppleCare+ warranty, and that she has no idea why. (Although, I'm guessing Verizon actually is as much at fault for that as Apple.) She said my best option would be to wait until the 14th as well.

So much for pre-ordering? :confused: I'd love to get a 4S as soon as possible, but not if it prevents me from getting AppleCare+. What a stupid mess.

17. billykeyc macrumors newbie

Another Option for the SAME PRICE

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone-landing24#top
    You may purchase this option within 30 days of purchase from ANY carrier for $99. Just mail your damaged phone in for free shipping both ways or even take your phone directly to the Apple Genius Bar at the Apple store and get reimbursed by sqaretrade for your costs. $50 deductible just like applecare+

18. blacka4 macrumors 6502

preordering from apple let me keep my unlimited data

19. yAak macrumors newbie

yAak

!!! What? How did you do it? (You had Unlimited data with Verizon?)

When I go through the process it only shows me the 3 new, limited data-plan options.

20. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I ordered from Verizon but when I was attempting to do it earlier with an older iPhone (to see what it'd be like) it showed unlimited. Not sure why it wouldn't let you.

21. ONEDVSMOFO macrumors newbie

It only showed me the 2/5/10 GB data plans too. I have unlimited data now with Verizon and when I called them to see what would happen if I preordered with Apple and selected one of those plans just to get the apple care +, she said she wasn't sure if I would lose my unlimited plan or not. :confused:

22. yAak, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

yAak macrumors newbie

yAak

Update

UPDATE:
    TLDR: Called Verizon again, verified in very clear terms that I can keep my Unlimited plan despite changing the Data plan on Apple's pre-order form. 4S order through Apple w/ Care+ completed.

-----
    (Aside: I have the "$29.99/mo" Unlimited data plan set-up through Verizon for an Android phone from back in April 2010.)

Talked to Apple rep again (live chat this time lol) and he told me to call Verizon and ask them if I can keep my plan despite selecting a "new" data plan on Apple's site.

Called Verizon again, and rep said to not worry, and to call again after I activate the iPhone to make sure I'm still on Unlimited. She instructed me to check the cheapest, 2GB plan in order to complete my checkout through Apple. She assured me they could switch it back to Unlimited if anything goes weird/wrong with it. Got her name and employee # just in case anyway!

I'm still late to the game, however, so I won't be getting my phone until the end of October. Ah well!

23. ONEDVSMOFO macrumors newbie

The Verizon rep I just spoke with was in the dark at first in regards to apple care plus. She told me to just wait until the 14th and buy one from an Apple store if I really wanted it. She put me on hold again then told me to call in when I activate the phone and they would add it. Sigh..

24. yAak, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

yAak macrumors newbie

yAak

Yeah the one I spoke to didn't know much about AppleCare+, only that Verizon did not sell it. Since I approached the support call from a "how can I keep my Unlimited data plan when pre-ordering through Apple" direction, she was able to be helpful.

25. blacka4 macrumors 6502

it gave me the option to keep my existing plan. well my existing plan has unlimited data, I know I will eventually have to give it up but right now i'm glad I have it