Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
So last month, i was delighted that i could buy applecare for like $60 on ebay. now there all double that even in the $160 range. Im short for cash and some sellers said the reason for this is you simply cant enter a code anymore. I'm really confused as to why it's so expensive now. can someone clarify this for me?

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
Perhaps they're selling legitimate copies now. Applecare has never been $60 retail.

No, no, on like ebay. its always been like $60. now sellers as saying policies changed so they can't just give you a code now. i dont get it because either way you have to enter a code.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Applecare is expensive in general but compared to the amount they charge you to replace say a bad logic board, it is a drop in the bucket. Applecare on ebay running about $60 is quite low, at that price I would be weary all the same. Even at $160 you're still getting a deal (depending upon the device). It has not "always" been $60. $60 would give me cause to pause.

The reason for the change is that now, if you buy from eBay, you best get yourself the box. You can no longer enter a code, if you do that you do that at your own risk. Apple will audit the codes well outside the PayPal dispute resolution time and you're hosed.

If an extended warranty is important to you then this should be factored into the cost of the new item you purchased. If you cannot afford it then perhaps reevaluating your purchases is prudent.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
No, no, on like ebay. its always been like $60. now sellers as saying policies changed so they can't just give you a code now. i dont get it because either way you have to enter a code.

Those who just emailed the code were not legit in most cases. Boxed, i.e. legit AppleCares have never been 60$.

Looks like Apple has finally updated the system so it won't accept generated codes

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
they were selling everyone the same code - hoping people never need to actually use it.

How can someone resell AppleCare for $60 when it is $250 from Apple?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I agree. I don't always buy AppleCare but when I do, I buy it directly from Apple. I have purchased it on my oldest G4 Mac Mini, Macbook, iPhone 4, and iPad but not for any of our newer Intel Mac Minis or iPod Touch's. I never have to dig for serial numbers or prove I'm not trying to commit a crime when I call Apple. I like dealing with Apple and paying full retail for AppleCare is a small price to pay for knowing I'm not being scammed. The one time I did need a repair for one of the kids' iPod Touches, it was a cracked screen and Applecare wouldn't have helped. When my iPod Touch died, it was within the normal warranty. When I got the reminder email to buy AppleCare, it was just before the new models (with camera, etc) were coming out and I decided I'd rather get a newer model if something were to go wrong in the future. You should weigh the (full retail) cost of AppleCare against simply paying for the repair or buying a new device, keeping in mind that all repairs aren't automatically covered.

One example of a scam involves selling the same number to a half dozen people on ebay so that by the time anyone finds out their AppleCare number is invalid, the paypal dispute window has closed. If you buy AppleCare from any source other than an Apple store, make sure you get a physical box that is unopened so you know you are the first person using the code.

Another nice part of buying Applecare directly from Apple at the time you purchase your Apple gear is the product registration is (often) automatic. I don't waste a second of my time typing in code numbers for AppleCare.

One thing to consider is that Apple products tend to hold up fairly well. You might not need Applecare on everything you buy. I recommend it for computers because things can go wrong years later and phone and genius bar help along with (most) repairs are free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.