Applecare Poll

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tazmando, Jun 24, 2012.

?

Applecare - was it required?

1. Bought applecare and had to use it?

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Bought applecare and didn't use it?

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Didn't buy applecare but needed a repair?

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Didn't buy applecare and didn't need it?

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. tazmando macrumors newbie

I always view extended manufacturing warranties as 21st century con tricks as most electrical products that i have owned have lasted longer than i needed or wanted them for. However, reading the posts and advice regarding applecare on this forum there seems to be a lot of members who have purchased applecare and had cause to use it. Whilst there are plenty of posts and opinion on whether it is worth it or not, there doesn't seem to be a definitive poll on how many people have bought and used it or bought it and not used it etc.

Applecare is an insurance and like all insurances it is based upon risk. It will be interesting to see how the risk profile turns out. It may also raise questions about the robustness of apple products (good or bad).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This poll likely won't be definitive, either, as you can't get enough participation to make the results meaningful. You can get a better idea by reading the hundreds of existing threads on this topic that have been posted over the years.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Totally worth it. I've owned over 20 Apple products (computers, iPods, iPhones, AppleTVs, Airport Extreme/Express, iPad) over the last 10 years, and consistently have purchased AppleCare for the major purchases (I don't think it's worth it on the AppleTV, because it's so inexpensive to just buy a refurbished replacement). I've had excellent service whenever I've had anything wrong, even from normal wear and tear (vs. design/manufacturing defects), and am quite sure it's more than paid for itself.

4. OCICILIONI macrumors member

re: apple care

I have found Apple care to be very helpful. Even if you don't have a defect with your computer, at least the telephone support is worth it. And it is definitely worth it when it comes to the iPhone because they cover some accidents.

Consider buying your apple products with an American Express card, or other credit cards that offer buyer/s protection plans. Many credit cards offer extended warranties and we tend to forget about that. I have heard of people who were able to cash in on their AMEX insurance plans with computer or iPhone accidental damage through AMEX, rather than having to deal with the Apple store.

5. RedCroissant Suspended

Hard drive failure

The HD on my 2009 iMac was failing and(obviously) causing me some problems. Since I had AppleCare and even though I was close to an Apple retail store, they still sent a technician out to my home to replace my hard drive. Because of this, I always get AppleCare.

6. tazmando thread starter macrumors newbie

GGJStudios, thanks for advice which i had read in the other posts. I have just bought a mba 2012 and, as posted, i never buy extended warranty but what has surprised me, and has made me think twice, by reading the numerous posts is how many people have had to use it. I dont know whether this is because there is always a natural bias in postings from people who have had to use a product than people who don't. I know electrical goods are not infallible, particularly portables, but apple rightly pride themselves on their engineering and quality of manufacture, so applecare should not be required to the degree that appears in the postings. I will do as advised and wait until near the end of my first year warranty before making a decision but like anything, it is a game of chance.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it is a game of chance. While many don't mind assuming the risk, many don't want the possibility of having to pay $700+ for a logic board, for example. They'd rather have the predictable expense of buying AppleCare. Of course, it's cheaper if you qualify for an Education discount.

8. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

The Apple business group also gives 10% off on AppleCare, if you qualify for a business purchase.