AppleCare problem, advice needed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Caris, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I'm in a pretty awkward situation and would like some advice.

I recently bought AppleCare for my 13" MBP from Ebay, it was an auction and I emailed the seller asking if they would take a certain price for it. They said yes so I didn't go through Ebay and just sent a PayPal payment to then instead. The AppleCare came the next day, sealed and I thought all was good.

I tried to register it online and it wouldn't work so I rang up. Basically what's happened is the AppleCare I've bought it really old copy and even though it's for "MacBook Pro/PowerBook" it's the ones before the 13" came out. The old 15" ones.

Apple said I should contact the seller for a refund, but I know I won't get anywhere with that. (i will still try though).

Is there any other option than me paying full price plus what I've paid for this just for an extra 2 years warranty? I really don't want to have to do this. :(

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If apple is not stating that its not a valid warranty at this point, you're only option is to contact the seller. You can try filing a dispute with payal as well

3. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

Why did you buy an AppleCare from eBay instead getting it from Apple?
    Looking to save a little and you lost it all. Hm..?
    Saving a little ain't worth buying junk from hustlers on eBay.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, Apple won't help you, and you chose to go outside the eBay system, so now PayPay/eBay won't help you either. Your only option, I think, is if the seller gives you a refund.

The cheap becomes the expensive.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The old saying 'caveat emptor' applies here. With respect, there have been too many horror stories from eBay whereby unscrupulous sellers take advantage of gullible (and greedy) buyers who really should know better.

Why not buy Applecare from Apple?

Re your situation, Apple have no liability; your only hope is to try to contact the seller for a refund, or failing that, file a dispute with Paypal.

Cheers

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

u should have bbought it off apple

heck the education discount saves u 100 bucks off it!

7. eron macrumors 6502

Yeah, try filing a Paypal dispute.

8. cherishzm macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If Paypal dispute does not work, try filing credit card dispute (if you paid with a credit card).