Applecare problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbooker15, Aug 29, 2008.

1. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Hi all, I have a question about my applecare coverage. I got my macbook in December of '06 (Christmas), then my mother ( Non-Computer Savvy) got me apple care for it in December of '07 I thought she had registered it online, but she didn't. I now have a crack in my palm rest :mad:, and i checked with apple to make sure i had applecare, but i didn't. My question is, since I bought applecare before my mac was a year old, but didn't think I had to register it, assuming i find the registration number, can I register my Macbook with applecare?

Wow that looks confusing...but im trying to sell my macbook to put money towards the new ones in september :D. The DOP on the Applecare will come up before my year was up, so....now what :apple:?`

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

AppleCare must be registered before the 1st anniversary of the product's purchase date. So your MacBook does not have AppleCare.

Since you are planning on buying a new MacBook you can use the AppleCare on that one (register it on-line - you will need to find that code !!).

There have been many reports of MacBook owners getting the cracks on the topcases fixed out of warranty by Apple so a trip to the AppleStore is next....

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you should give apple support a call and explain your conversation. They have very good customer support and they might be able to help you out.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Do you have a receipt showing the purchase date of your computer, and another showing the purchase date of the AppleCare? Having both would go along way in convincing Apple that you've got a legitimate case.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's on the same receipt they will accept it.

But since it's on different receipts, if it's within a few weeks of expiration, you'll have better luck.

Chances are low they'll accept it, but you can certainly try.

6. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so we're desperately trying to find the applecare code...if she bought it online, would the box still be shipped to her? Also, we're sure that the applecare was purchased before the end of official ending of the limited warranty, but we need to find a receipt, and its harder because we just moved. Anyways, if I were to go to the Apple Store, what could I say to get them to replace my topcase out of warranty?

7. MicahFreak82 macrumors member

When you go in just make sure that you are really nice. Explain to then arhat everyones macbook has that same lame crack. And ask them to "CS" it for you. I was in a similar situation and out of warrenty and they fixed it for me no questions. Good luck

8. macbooker15 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm....what can CS mean...But thanks for the help, i'll try to take it in today or tomorrow.

EDIT: OK, i just got off the phone with apple tech and explained my whole crack problem. They said i should be able to take it to my apple store, and they would fix the crack. One question though..do i have to make a genius bar appointment before hand?

9. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Yes, make an appointment on-line at the store you are going to. You can also make one there, on their computer, but you will have to hope there is an opening.