AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by walds11, Jun 9, 2010.

1. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I had an appointment at the genius bar this past weekend and had my 3GS swapped out. There was a hairline crack on the back near the charging port. My limited one year warranty expires on 6/15/2010. I plan on giving my 3GS to my wife as soon as I get the iPhone 4. Should I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend my coverage for another year? I have to decide before 6/15/2010, so not much time. Pros? Cons?

2. phrint macrumors 6502

In my opinion AC is not as valuable on the iPhone as it is on the Macbook/Macbook Pro line. Although, it couldn't hurt. I've owned all three iPhones through the ends of their warranties without any problems at all. AT&T should be ashamed of themselves for offering such a ripoff insurance plan on the iPhone 4. I would hate to be a rep having to hawk that crap on the customer.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Will your wife be ok with trashing her 3GS (or paying 199 for out of warranty repair) if something goes awry? 59 bucks is a drop in the bucket.

4. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not a proponent of extended warranty plans. I can only think of two occasions where I had to use the basic, limited one year warranty (replaced motor in clothes washer and replaced iPhone 3GS). I guess I answered my own question :D

5. truciet macrumors 6502

IMO it's worth IF you keep your iPhone for more than 1 year. You have to remember Apple is the ONLY company that will swap out your phone for a replacement in store or through shipping! That's the best you can ask for. Again this is for defects of course.

What's also great is that you can wait until the very last day of your warranty and buy Apple Care.

If you want complete protection, buy one through Square I believe. $50 deductible but covers everything.

6. Built macrumors 68020

For me...it's called Peace of Mind.

I had to swap out my 3G after a year and a month...and it was done without hassle under AppleCare.

7. walds11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

$199 for an out of warranty repair? What about a replacement out of warranty? Probably pay full price? My wife is eligible for an upgrade 2/11/11 and eligible for an early upgrade 11/22/10 according to AT&T.