Applecare Protection plan neccassary?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tml.chelseafc, Aug 8, 2009.

1. tml.chelseafc macrumors member

Are their any "big" advantages of getting an applecare protection plan?

Will I gain anything or lose?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If something goes wrong 2 years after you buy the machine, you'll wish you had it.

It's a gamble, but when it does payoff, it normally pays off well.

For me, it is worth every penny on a portable machine.

3. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

It's just insurance. One could never know if it's needed until it actually is.

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

NECESSARY - no

If you are keeping the machine for more than a year - wise purchase

If you want peace of mind - PRICELESS :D

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I would get it. Think of it as extending the life of your computer. You never know with computers what will eventually fail. I'm usually not the one to get extended warranties but AppleCare seems like a no brainer especially if you look at the cost of repair if something does go wrong.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I agree with others here. It's not necessary, but you'll sure wish you had it you end up needing a major repair over the next three years.

Break it down over the life of warranty and it's a very small price to pay for peace of mind.

7. FnuGk macrumors regular

do you have to buy applecare at the same time you buy your mac or can you wait 1 or 2 years?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can wait up to a year, but it doesn't extend the length any. AC is good for three years from the purchase date of the Mac, and must be registered in the first year.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are keeping the machine less then a year, no. Any longer then that it's probably a good idea. With notebooks, things happen, especially if you are a student. Power chargers begin to add up.

10. Langille macrumors newbie

In a word... yes.

In an explanation: I bought a 2.2Ghz MBP in July of 2007, it was great for the first 10 months, then my superdrive died, I had it replaced as I was still in my first year. Then time got away from me and I forgot to but Apple Care (Should have used iCal to remind me) and 3 weeks outside of my warranty expiring, my logic board died.

So after some calls to Apple, some back and forth discussions, etc they replaced my logic board. (Which 1) I was very lucky for, and 2) I didn't know at the time that the system was covered an extra 90 days after the Super Drive was replaced)

I tried to buy Apple Care at that point so I'd never have to go through this again, but I couldn't because I was outside of my original year. Either way, I was happy and went along my way, what were the chances of a second logic board going, right?

Well this past Tuesday night, my logic board died again. I called Apple since this was the 2nd time in 11 months that it died, but alas, no go. (Which I kind of understand, but clearly if I lost 2 logic boards in 11 months, there's a problem with my system)

If I would have had apple care, it would have been replaced easily, but since I didn't, it would be "in the high hundreds, low thousands to replace the logic board" according to Apple techs

I wasn't about to put good money after bad, so I took the money I could have used to repair a 2 year old system and put it towards a new Macbook Pro 13" Neither of which I really wanted to or was expecting to put money towards right now.

So yes, get apple care and not have to worry/think about it again.

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you dont drive your car without insurance ....do you ?

12. pwyler macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a Mac so I've been reading through these forums for a few weeks now. I have to say I find it amazing how much Mac users talk about AppleCare. (Three friends also mentioned it to me.)

I've had two different Windows desktop computers and two different laptop Windows computers and I've never had an issue. I never bought any extra protection nor did I need it. Granted I take great of them but still.

But with Macs that's all I ever hear about. Makes me very nervous especially when looking at how much they cost. For nearly double a Windows PC, I expect the darn thing to last and last. My current Compaq is over 3 1/2 years old and works like a charm. If AppleCare was like an extra $100 then maybe that's one thing. But at $350, Apple has got to be raking it in, that is if they aren't having to fix all the issues that seem to come up.

And I don't drive a car without insurance because it's the law and because I want to be responsible; besides someone might drive into me and cause damage. I don't expect anyone to "drive into" my laptop and thus need AppleCare. Insurance for having it stolen is one thing. Having to have insurance because it goes bad, speaks of something completely different.

13. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

every person to themselves....

dont buy apple care.....i know one thing...i buy it, and ill never regret that.

15. pwyler macrumors newbie

But see, that's my whole point/question. I'm worried about how much people suggest you get it. I've never bought a product in my life -- and I've bought a lot of electronic stuff -- where I hear someone saying get this extra protection. Even if you don't agree with what I'm asking so to speak, surely you/everyone must understand the concern someone has when they hear how an extra $350 is needed for protection for a product that costs so much to begin with?

I'm sure it is very handy if something goes wrong. Would I rather spend $350 vs say $1,000? Heck, yes. But would I rather just have a product that works well and not spend it at all? Yes, most definitely. I'm just a concerned shopper asking questions. That's all. Not arguing it's worth so much as the all to commonly suggested need of getting it for a product that at its price I would hope would be top quality and not have any issues, unless I dropped it or poured a drink on it.

16. theJamie macrumors member

I am in the same Boat as pwlyer. I have had two Windows laptops and if problems have ocurred it is four years into my ownership. I won't get AppleCare because I am paying more for this machine so I assume it will last at least four years. If I am wrong so be it.
    Also a lot of people who come on here are asking for help with their Macs so of course they buy applecare.
    I have had good luck with my electronics and I'll just take my chances.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Should you really have to ask? Visiting this forum for no more than 5 minutes should be more than enough to convince anyone to buy Applecare with all the complaints here.

18. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

be carefull if you don't i think its necessary for a laptop in case you drop it like i did and the logic board failed lol

19. celticpride678

Considering my Mac having a dead hard drive (that got replaced) and then a few other issues, I would say YES. Buy IT! I am going to be purchasing it in a few months, as you have a year after purchase date to buy AppleCare.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's not about thinking it's going to break or not. It's about added security if it does. I wouldn't buy a protection plan because the price is already cheap. If it goes all screwy, so what I lose $1000. But with a MacBook Pro, with all the upgrades and add-ons, it runs almost to $3000. That's a lot of money to say, oh well, it's only $3000. The price of the product plays a huge factor.

21. kipkeston macrumors newbie

I used to buy it, but I don't anymore. I think it's a huge waste of money. Most if anything will break within the first year. The only thing that's broken outside of a warranty (and I've had three apple laptops since 04) is the nvidia defective video card which they happily replaced.

A HDD failure, probably the most commonly failed device is wicked cheap, and when it happens, you probably will an upgrade anyway.

22. m1stake macrumors 68000

Absolutely not. All of the expensive problems that happen to laptops are your fault. The screen breaking, big dents, etc. If your hard drive fails, that's a waste of money because hard drives don't cost $350. All around bad.

23. tml.chelseafc thread starter macrumors member

Seems like most of you do advise to get applecare. I'll get it then :D I also talked to my dad and he said I will HAVE to buy it. I always end up breaking laptops :D

24. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Keep in mind if you accidently break it Applecare won't help you. It only helps for hardware failure not caused by damage.

25. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Disclaimer : I work for a company that offers accidental protection plans on the computers we sell.

Another vote for at least Applecare.

As has been mentioned, Applecare is excellent protection for your computer and I highly recommened it. But, as has been pointed out, it does not protect a laptop against accidental damage.