Applecare Protection Plan (Old Version) vs. (New Version)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DougFNJ, Mar 23, 2011.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I was just about to purchase the protection plan on Amazon for my 13" MBP and noticed 2 versions and a $50 price difference between the old and new.

Did something change on these? Is there a difference between versions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where do you see two versions? Links, please.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go with whatever is cheaper; same stuff, updated box.

Worst case the code doesn't work, if you call Apple they will issue you a new code since you did buy it from Amazon (who is an authorized Apple reseller).

4. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

5. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

Apple no longer likes the "old" one, you could just register with the number. Now you need the box and the proof of purchase of the original applecare.

I tried registering an old one and had to return it as apple denied it. Went ahead and bought the new one on Amazon and no issues

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

7. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Thanks for the quick replies, looks like the sellers are the ones "naming" the versions. I am just going to pay the extra cost for piece of mind and buy direct from Amazon.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

jayhawk is correct. I was going to say that the "new" one doesn't have the techtools disk. I still have my AC box with the TechTools disk from my old MBP. I wonder if it is worth anything..? Interesting.

Also interesting that you PAY EXTRA for GETTING LESS in the box...

9. xdbuix macrumors 6502

10. tcador macrumors regular

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Rock chalk baby all the way to the final four and national championship let's doooo it

12. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I had the same issue (but with the iPhone version). I contacted the vendor and they send me the invoices that showed proof of purchase. Apple accepted it and activated my AC plans (got one for each phone).

13. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Wanted to thank you all for the helpful replies. I ended up buying it today through B&H, $190 no tax and free shipping I appreciate the money saving info, ended up with a great deal on that, plus bought a teackpad at some decent savings as well :D

14. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Been using B&H for 7 years+. Never any issue. $1000's worth of gear and trinkets. (The lack of sales tax does add up for me).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I've saved over $5000 in taxes already just buying from B&H and shipping it out of state; that's good savings. :p

16. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I am thoroughly impressed with B&H. I ordered yesterday checked off the free shipping option. Ordered the Applecare, the Magic Trackpad, and an iPad case, everything arrived today.

I found a new favorite store :D

17. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

What is the difference in this Applecare for Macbook Pro for $190

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582542-REG/Apple_MC246LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_MacBook.html

and this one for $244

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582543-REG/Apple_MC247LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_15.html

One of my gifts (that I asked for) for Christmas was Applecare for my Macbooi Pro. I opened it only to realize when I tried to install it that is it for the Mac Pro instead of the Macbook Pro. That seems like an easy mistake since the names are similar.

It originally came from B&H Photo. Apple is going to void that warranty and refund my purchase price so that I can buy another one. I'd like to save a few pennies but I don't want to get the wrong thing and have to wait 4 - 6 weeks for another refund.

18. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

WOW seriously?

it says right on there, ones for the 13inch and ones for the 15inch LOL

19. yly3 macrumors 6502

Just to avoid opening a topic for this can someone clarify this for me ?

How do you register an Amazon bought Applecare plan ? My MacBook Pro was received as a gift so I do not have original invoice from store and all that, can I still buy the warranty and use it ?

Same question about the iPhone. However my iPhone is a replacement so when I did replace it, the Genius appointment was done my Apple ID so it is basically on my name.

20. jon08 macrumors 65816

The $190 one is for 13" MBPs, while the more expensive one is for 15" & 17" MBPs.

EDIT: someone already beat me to it. :p

21. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

Sorry. I'm old and I missed that. I guess I should just be sitting around knitting but I love my Macs. :D

I appreciate the help all the same.

----------

I do know the answer to this one. No matter where you purchase the Applecare, you register them all here with the registration number provided in the box.

https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GlobaliReg.woa

They replaced my iPhone too and I asked about that and he said they transferred my Applecare to the replacement.

22. yly3 macrumors 6502

Basically you do not need any proof that you bought the mac/iPhone ?
    And these warranties can be bought any time during the first year right ?
    Is Amazon selling the Applecare(+) which covers accidental damage at the cost of an additional 50$ ?