Applecare protection plan...opinions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 80sarcades, Sep 26, 2008.

1. 80sarcades macrumors newbie

Hello to all (first post)

Sometime within the next month I plan on purchasing a new iPod Touch 2G, and I needed some advice.

Prior to this I've had the shuffle and 2nd generation Nano. Both of them I got as freebies, so while I take good care of them I never really worried about any kind of protection beyond a case for the nano. However, since I am about to purchase a good (and expensive, but well worth it:D) 16GB Touch I have to ask 2 questions:

(a) Are the Touches (at least the 1G's) pretty reliable? It looks that way from the posts I read on the forum (with occasional exceptions) but I don't know anyone that has one outside of a store (to play with, ask, etc). I don't think I'll have trouble running one, not with the help out there, but wasn't sure if that was the case on the hardware side. That leads to question...

(b) Applecare Protection Plan: Is it worth it for the second year? I usually get an extended warranty only for laptops/desktops (which has paid off ) but also wasn't sure if it would pay off here. It seems that the first part to fail within two years *might* be the battery (which I think costs $60 to replace, if I remember reading another post right) but since you already paid $59 for the plan you don't really come out ahead. (My nano, battery and all, is still going strong after 2 years, however).

It will be interesting to finally buy an ipod and actually keep up with technology instead of being several years behind it:) Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

i'd rather spend apple care protection on a mac computer or iphone rather than a mp3 player. i have 1G ipod touch and its been going on for about a year
    my friends one as well cept longer. no problem with it whatsoever. still runs perfectly find

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

My 32GB iPod Touch is being shipped to me on Tuesday. I am definitely getting the Applecare for it. One main reason is the battery. I bought Applecare on my previous iPod and the battery failed after 16 months. I took it to my local Apple store and the genius kept it overnight to test the battery and guess what? They called me to pick up my new iPod. Yes, they replaced it. They said that they don't replace the batteries, they replace the iPod.

Applecare for the iPod is not very expensive, it's definitely worth it for the battery alone.

4. BennyK macrumors 6502

Wow, is this something you did recently? Sounds awesome! I have no Apple Store within 100 miles of me though so I wonder how they do it when I dont have access to an Apple store?

5. 80sarcades thread starter macrumors newbie

The good thing about the Applecare is that I can purchase it before the year is up, so that is an option...

I'd rather buy the extra memory at the moment (16GB vs 8GB)...even though I don't have that much music it would be nice to fill up on videos, etc since you never know when you might need it (waiting rooms, for example). I just wasn't sure if Applecare is worth it or it is just another way to get more money after paying for the player, case, etc.

Either way, I can't wait to get my hands on a Touch!