Applecare Protection Plan question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kousuke18, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kousuke18 macrumors regular

I've had my macbook pro for about 9 months now and I am planning on purchasing the applecare plan. The problem is that I have already replaced the original hard drive and also damaged one of the torx screw on the clamp that holds the hard drive in place (I know I'm an idiot for doing something stupid like that) but other than that everything is in working order.

Am I still eligible to purchase the extended warranty?

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Yes.... you can go to the Apple store or go online and just buy Apple care without them seeing your computer! but if you have it repaired I would disclose to them the previous damage!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can still buy AppleCare, but they won't cover any damage to your computer caused by you doing modifications yourself.

4. kousuke18 thread starter macrumors regular

So, say I buy the applecare plan right now and sometime down the road there is something wrong with laptop, will they repair it for free? or would the damage that I've done to my laptop prior to purchasing the applecare void the extended warranty?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They won't repair your hard drive or any damage caused by the installation. They would still cover unrelated parts like your screen, but if they can link any problem to the modifications you've done, you're out of luck.

It's a good idea to actually read the AppleCare Protection Plan to understand what it does and doesn't cover.

6. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

If I understand it correctly, anything you broke by changing the hard drive is your responsibility, but unrelated problems - for example, if the display breaks - are still covered. Of course, Apple's technicians will have to problem blaming the problem on you if they feel like it; there's a lot of confusing and delicate stuff inside of the laptop that you'll necessarily have fiddled with if you changed your hard drive.

AppleCare is expensive. Call the hotline before you blow $250 on it to make sure you're not getting nothing for something.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

As long as they never have to replace your HDD you have no worries.

8. dw87 macrumors newbie

Don't buy it!! They only cover in as-new condition.

I had previously brought in a macbook(white) and they replaced a hard drive and the hand crack on the hand rest no worries.

But when I took my macbook pro in for the same issues, I had the tinyest dint, I mean tiny, barely a scrape. They said it was accidental damage and couldn't cover anything at all that was wrong with my laptop, So, if you get a tiny dint or anything on the side/anywhere on your laptop, I suggest getting a refund for the remainder of your applecare warranty cos, they will basically tell you to go away, when you come to them for any problems with your laptop.

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This is why I would never take such a unit to an Apple store.

Many authorized Apple service centers will handle those repairs without question. Also, Apple's bench techs that work on he machines sent in via the box sent overnight are much less picky about cosmetic damage. Unless cosmetic damage actually caused internal damage they usually will fix it.

Cheers,