Applecare Protection Plan

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maddiesuewho, Mar 26, 2012.

1. maddiesuewho macrumors newbie

Two question:
    1. Is a crack on the screen of macbook pro covered under applecare protection plan? I have researched that it isn't.
    Which leads me to my second question
    2. My friend dropped her laptop off her desk and it started messing up and she took it to a computer store and they fixed it for free because it was covered under applecare.
    How can that be? Both are from drops but they aren't both under applecare! Just wondering what applecare actually covers and why it was so important to buy!

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Technically the drop is not covered either as that is incidental damage which is not covered under Applecare. The thing is, if they could see no visible damage and the issues presented itself as would any normal issue (and your friend neglected to tell them it happened after a drop), then they would cover it under Applecare (and depending if the place is less than truthful, they may repair it under warranty as sometimes warranty work can be billed at higher rates).

With a crack in the screen it would be hard to be considered a manufacturing defect, so it would be considered incidental damage and is not covered by AppleCare, now if it was purchased at say Best Buy with their Geek Squad extended plan (depending on the plan), then drops and incidental damages are covered as part of their warranty coverage.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Neither should be covered. Your friend just got lucky.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Look here.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare doesn't cover damage from accidents. While you may find an Apple rep to bend or break the rules, it's never covered under AppleCare.

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.