AppleCare purchasing advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macman4789, Dec 28, 2014.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi,

I've recently bought a brand new rMBP 15" off eBay and it works great and am pleased with it however my question is about AppleCare.

Even though I have bought my new rMBP off eBay can I still buy AppleCare for it?

Secondly, my other question is about students purchasing AppleCare. I know that you normally have to buy it at the same time at when purchasing the laptop from the Apple Store to get the heavy discount.

Could I still get the student discount having bought the MBP from eBay?

Thanks

2. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

As long as the Macbook is still under the initial 1 year warranty from Apple, you should be able to buy AppleCare for it. As for the Student discount, I believe you must go through the Apple Education Store to get that when you buy the Macbook there.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You can buy Applecare at any time during the first year while the rMBP is still under the initial warranty, right up to the last day of the first year, but not a day after that.

My advice would be to check the actual date of when the machine was initially sold to the original (as I assume that the original buyer sold it on eBay); you have one year from that date to buy Applecare.