Applecare question for glass replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerbuddy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

I accidentally cracked the glass on my Unibody, while having purchased a 3 year Applecare warranty. Now, I understand AC won't cover the repair, and I am planning on sending it for a reapir to techrestore. My question is, will my Applecare be voided and would I be denied future warranty service because of this reapair?

2. medz52 macrumors newbie

I would see if Apple could replace your glass..

If you dont, you could run the risk of wasting the $300 you paid for applecare because you decided to find a different service for repair

I could be totally wrong tho, but I would definitely take it to apple first then go from there

3. powerbuddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think they will replace it as they see it as an accidental damage! :(

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

the bad thing is that... they don't sell the glass by itself, its the whole top lid. If you repair it, how is Apple going to know it has been repaired?

5. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

Come on! Get a glass from eBay for around $50 and replace it by yourself. Youtube the tutorial. It's real easy. The glass is fixed on the screen by double sided tapes.

6. powerbuddy thread starter macrumors 6502

I had another question, suppose I chose to instead replace my glass screen with a matte option... will this void my Applecare warranty?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If the third party doesn't mess anything up, then you should be ok with AppleCare because the repair wouldn't be documented in iLog. If Apple does repair and log, then there might be future problems with your warranty and repairs.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Agreed with this except for ebay. ebay is trash. You'll get sent trash that tints colors in certain angles when there's sunlight. Buy elsewhere.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look around at 3rd Party Apple Service providers ... if you don't want to DIY.

Sure there are other options and prices at other 3rd party repair places.

Since some of these are Apple Service providers, they shouldn't void the warranty.

If you use a non-Apple Certified tech, you'd run the risk of aftermarket parts and possibly damage voiding the warranty. But heck quality imitation parts should include Apple marks anyhow.

10. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm pretty sure techrestore offers their own 1-year warranty because their modification voids AppleCare, so I think you'd be wasting your 3year AppleCare by doing it.