Applecare question on unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nospleen, Dec 16, 2008.

1. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

I recently switched over to T-Mobile, not by choice. I have unlocked my iPhone so that I can still use it. Anyway, I have Applecare on my iPhone. Will Apple still replace it under warranty if I do not have an ATT plan, or am I out of luck if my phone dies?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If my memory serves me right, once unlocked it's over but I might be mistaken. (bec of that DFU restore)

3. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

You can always restore the phone to factory settings

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68020

nospleen

I just wonder if they verify if you have an AT&T account?

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

They can tell if you unlocked it. It isn't that hard to find that part out. I don't think they need to check to see if you have an At&t account. Since there is no official way to unlock the iPhone in the US that is sanctioned by Apple, they can very well deny service. They can tell via serial number and your apple care registration where and how the phone was purchased.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No AT&T Wireless/Data Plan with AppleCare for your 3G iPhone = Voided Warranty & AppleCare Protection. You must have your 3G iPhone activated with AT&T in the US. I'm surprised that AT&T hasn't sent you a notification of some sort...:eek:

7. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I just sent my iPhone in to be repaired (in the UK) and that has been unlocked and never on an official contract...

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The way I read it, it seems that the OP used to be subscribed to AT&T, and presumably used the iPhone on AT&T's network for some time. But for some reason the OP has since been forced to drop AT&T's service.

Presuming the OP either paid the ETF, or else AT&T chose to amicably waive the fee, the iPhone would then turn into a totally legitimate paperweight, but the OP would not (yet) have violated any agreements. As of that instant, AT&T would no longer have any standing in regulating the OP's affairs, so they wouldn't have any business sending the OP notifications of anything at all.

While the iPhone is in such a state, it is totally normal for it to be nonfunctional. It would be difficult to justify any warranty service under those circumstances, because no repair could be performed which would change the fact that without an active wireless service contract, the phone is nonfunctional by design.

Re-activating it on AT&T, or giving it away to somebody else who activates it for himself on AT&T, would almost certainly bring it back under warranty coverage for whatever term remains.

On the other hand, unlocking the iPhone and activating it on T-Mobile's network ... that's something which would permanently void your warranty due to this clause in the iPhone warranty:
    (Original iPhone warranty page 1, Exclusions and Limitations section, paragraph 3 part e link)
    (iPhone 3G warranty page 2, paragraph 1 part g link)

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Again, we are addressing AT&T (within the US), and YES, we are no longer the property of the British Empire... LOL :p