Applecare question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ashman70, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I bought a used 2010 model MBP 13" from a student recently, it had been bought for him as a gift and thus he had no receipt or proof of purchase, Applecare had not been purchased for the unit. The original 1 yr warranty does not expire until June and I want to buy Applecare, I just don't want to be in a situation where I have to produce proof of purchase in order to get Applecare. I have asked the original owner and he is unable to produce a receipt or any kind of proof of purchase. Is there anything else I can do? I have registered the MBP with Apple.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You should be ok. I mean logic would come into play here. If your MacBook Pro is a 2010 model, the earliest possible date where the one-year would expire would be January 1, 2011. Also, chances are that the computer was already registered so if you call AppleCare, they'll be able to let you know everything about the computer and if you decide to purchase AppleCare, you would be able to do so without any proof of purchase.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

What is the time limit for buying Apple care after a purchase?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have to buy it within the first year, while the Mac is still under warranty.

6. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Go tot the support page and enter your serial number to see how much time is remaining. As long as you get the applecare in the time allotted on that page you are fine. Just with the new applecare you need to keep the box and serial number just in case something happens.

I am awaiting to see what apple is going to do about my speakers before extending as I do not feel 349 for two months is worth it as they are looking at replacing the machine again.

7. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I bought a mac online and needed to activate the apple care that came with it (the extended plan). To do so online I needed the exact date of purchase. I had to contact the ebay seller for that date. As long as you know the exact date I believe you should be ok.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you are positive you will keep this laptop for a few years and want to save yourself from future headaches, just go ahead and buy and activate AppleCare now. This way, if you have an issue, you know about it now while you are still in touch with the seller.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You should be okay as long as you have the serial number of the machine. Id just call Apple.

10. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I absolutely do intend on keeping the machine for years to come and as for purchasing Applecare, its definitely on my things to do in the coming months.

Thanks for all your replies.

AM

11. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

buy and REGISTER before 1 year from purchase date

FYI - you must not only purchase the applecare, you will need to register it with Apple before you pass the one year mark from the date the machine was originally sold.

I used to work at an apple reseller and had to deal with this problem a lot. sometimes apple will be nice about it if you have the receipt for the Applecare but generally you are SOL.

As a side note, you can buy on eBay (from a trusted seller) for about half the price that Apple sells it for. also, I believe it is sold on Amazon.

Good luck and enjoy your Mac!

12. ashman70 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am well aware that Applecare must be purchased before the initial one year warranty is up. I have registered the Macbook Pro with Apple who report the one year warranty will be up in June, so I have until then to purchase Applecare. I am also aware of purchasing Applecare on Ebay however there is a thread on this board where someone reports doing this, registering the Applecare they purchased on Ebay which went through, only to find out four months later their Applecare was no good as the Applecare registration originally belonged to someone else who had registered it, so they got scammed, and the seller I believe had a 100% positive feedback, so its obviously dodgy and likely not worth it to purchase Applecare on Ebay despite the obvious savings.

13. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Ebay is not the answer....I have to purchase before end of the week and it's less than 50 bucks difference on there. Till you factor in the standard 7 bucks for shipping it's really not much savings. You also can't just purchase the code inside the box like most sellers claim. You will need the tag from outside the box with serial number in order to activate the apple care.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would not buy from Ebay ... Apple is clamping down on all the drunken pirates flogging AC on Ebay ... if you buy from Ebay, you are wise to get the actual box :cool:

15. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Maybe you missed what I was trying to get across, I would buy and register AppleCare *now* since you are nervous whether it will go through or not.

16. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I bought mine from ebay and made sure to get the actual box. That is a must.

17. rootsmaneuver macrumors member

my point is...

simply buying the applecare does not activate and register it. i've met scores of people who purchased the box and thought they were all set and their applecare was active and valid. not the case.

if you pass the one year mark without registering the Applecare you are SOL
    ;)

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Incorrect. Provided you have proof of purchase of AppleCare before the one-year has expired, you can still register AppleCare months/years after the one-year date has passed. You would need to call AppleCare to do so.

19. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

One would have to still call the applecare rep to have the service activated as the on-line system will not let an expired computer to be registered. Like everyone has said, have receipt and you will be fine.

Do not be surprised if the agent grumbles a good bit about having to do this, but it will get done.

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Quite the opposite. We loved those calls because it was so straight forward and there was absolutely no troubleshooting required, good way to increase stats and the customer is always happy at the end of the call which usually results in a higher score for the agent. :D

21. Built macrumors 68020

22. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

Personally I never go for extended warranty plans and have never regretted not doing so.

This Late 2008 MBP had been used heavily and never had any issues with it. Sure Applecare gives you peace of mind but I don't think it's worth the $300+ or whatever it costs.