Applecare question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orfeas0, Jan 20, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone. I'm soon buying a new MBP (waiting for the update), and I'm thinking of getting the applecare protection plan. Does it cover accidents or only faulty parts? I read somewhere that it covers almost everything, like you drop it down and it breaks, it's covered. Is that true? If not, what exactly is covered?

ps: I already know the battery isn't covered.

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Nope, it doesn't cover accidents. Things like if your logic board dies by itself is covered but damage caused by spillages, drops, buffalo stampedes etc are not covered.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not entirely true. If the battery is faulty they'll replace it free of charge.

4. Pooki macrumors member

If you use your laptop every day/baby it, no crazy stuff nor buffalo stampedes, and a key breaks off .. would Apple Care cover the replacement of the keyboard? I would think they do, but just checking :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Technically, no, since a break of any kind indicates accidental damage. You might, however, be lucky enough to find someone at the Apple store to make an exception.

6. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

The battery is covered under warranty. Accidental damage however is not.

7. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Unless the keyboard was found to be defective from factory?

Tip to the OP: anytime you have a problem and visit the Genius bar (Apple tech support) for warranty/Applecare - it pays to have patience, be nice and polite to the tech. In many of these cases, when you explain the problem with a smile instead of starting out angry/yelling/attitude towards the tech, they will help you, which comes in real handy when dealing with issues that are questionable as to whether or not warranty/Applecare covers it ;)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it would have to show some manufacturer defect to be covered, technically.

9. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

not covered if it isn't faulty, if its just dead its not covered

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ, which quotes Apple directly: