Applecare question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparky1499, Jun 1, 2011.

1. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

I'm just about to take delivery of a 2011 base 15.4 MBP with Applecare.

What if my MBP is stolen and replaced by my home insurer. Will Apple honour the applecare on the repalcement unit?

2. Kashika macrumors regular

No, applecare only extends factory warranty by two more years. It doesn't cover any damage caused externally or theft.

3. sparky1499, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

sparky1499 thread starter macrumors regular

sparky1499

the MBP has been replaced by my insurer as it was a total loss.

will Apple honour the extended warranty on a unit provided to me by my insurer?

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't think so because the Applecare is tied to a specific serial number. Best bet though would be to call and explain your situation.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can usually transfer the warranty for the remainder of the warranty period. Call and ask.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple should be able to transfer it over to your new MBP but you'll have to make sure. User to user transfers are fine...I've never heard of a machine swap for applecare before (they can do it if THEY swap your machine, though).

But what I guarantee you can do is request a prorated refund based on the amount of time you had applecare, less any repairs you may have received. It may be worth it just to get the refund and reup your applecare for 2 more years if you had a substantial amount left but apple won't move it over for u.

7. sparky1499 thread starter macrumors regular

sparky1499

I reckon a visit to the Apple Store in Glasgow is in order...

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Just call them unless you want to make a trip

9. sparky1499 thread starter macrumors regular

sparky1499

Living in Glasgow it isn't so much of a trek... ;)

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I hear going outside is dangerous in Glasgow though. Probably safer to phone from the relative safety of your home. :p

11. flipshot macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can do it in store as when they replace the machine themselves they even tell you that you have to phone Applecare to get it transfered to the new machine.

12. Bear macrumors G3

Actually I would think the insurance company should buy the same type of warranty as well since that warranty is tied to the machine.

13. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Apple might, but the per Applecare the warranty is transferable when you sell the machine to a new user, not to a new machine.
    I say might because Apple did that for me; but then I had just bought Apple care and the machine (which was a demo unit) and Apple replaced it due to a kernal panic issue. It's worth a try.
    At worst you can get a pro-rated refund for the unused portion (in the US at least, though what you can get may vary by state).

14. sparky1499 thread starter macrumors regular

sparky1499

Thanks for the input folks

I'll report back with my findings once I've visited said Apple Store.

15. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Understand the cancellation and refund guidelines

If you cancel within 30 days of purchasing the agreement, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the agreement.

If you cancel more than 30 days after purchasing the agreement, you will receive a pro-rata refund based on the percentage of unexpired coverage in the agreement, less the value of any service provided under the agreement. There is also a cancellation fee of $25 (USD) or 10 percent of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less. You should receive your refund in about 4 to 6 weeks.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE52

16. iStudentUK, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

On top of that as the OP is in the UK, if you purchase AppleCare in a physical store you are entitled to a full refund in the first 45 days or pro-rata refund afterwards even if you have used the warranty. Apple can't charge a cancellation fee or anything like that. See s.8(1) here.

If you look at AppleCare T&Cs for Europe they are clearly covering their backs a lot!

17. Peewiglet macrumors newbie

Good luck, and I'll be interested to hear what they say.

I'd have expected you to get a new warranty with a new machine, assuming that the one your insurers have provided is a new machine. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be honoured.

Fingers crossed for you!

18. sparky1499 thread starter macrumors regular

sparky1499

Just visited the Apple Store in Glasgow.

The guy on the shop floor said pretty much what I expected. The Applecare will roll over on to the replacement MBP, but not for any extended period of time. They would also repair any accidental damage and send the cost to my insurer if it was repairable.

:D

19. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Confused. How does AppleCare know the serial of the new machine since your own insurance policy provided the replacement, not Apple. I still think you need to call AppleCare themselves vs talking to a sales rep on the floor unless I've missed something.