Applecare Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crazy Badger, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I've just bought a refurbished iMac and installed 16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD.

With previous Apple laptops I've always taken the Applecare option, and was thinking about doing the same from the iMac but having just read the Applecare Terms and Conditions I'm not sure I would be covered given it's been opened and the SSD installed (alongside the existing HDD)

Given everything is working fine, would I still be covered if say a screen or other non-storage component failed? Would I need to remove the SSD and replace the Apple supplied memory before taking into Apple?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Replacing the optical drive with a SSD technically voids the warranty, but many have done it without problems. Just replace the ODD before taking it in for any service. It's also a good idea to put the original RAM in before service, because some have reported that they got a repaired unit back without the extra RAM they added.

3. Crazy Badger thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

It's still got the ODD installed. The SSD is sat in the recess behind the ODD fixed to the rear cover.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either way, I'd remove it before service, as adding it is not covered by warranty. Even if they didn't refuse service because it was there, there's no assurance that it would still be there when they return your Mac.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's no way they would remove it. They would either refuse service or proceed with the service, but if they removed it, the genius who did it and/or any manager who approved it would be arrested for theft charges. There's absolutely no conditions under which they would remove it from the machine. The only case where there could be any issues is if the machine is sent out for a whole machine replacement, which is rare with an iMac, and would always be approved by the customer beforehand.

jW

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

There is also the chance of accidental loss, not theft. Plus it can complicate the repair. In a stock configuration the tech can swap for testing and replace parts as needed. With the rest of the machine if they accidentally drop something, they can just pull another one out of inventory. But As soon as a non-stock item is included with the machine the tech has to keep track of something "special". It just makes their lives more complicated. So, I'll go with GGJstudios' advice. Send in the machine as close to "stock" as possible. Why tempt fate?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm not arguing against removing custom items from the computer, just noting on that particular point. I'm a tech myself, I always appreciate it when the machine is stock, but the idea that it would just go back to the customer without it is very unlikely.

jW

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Fair enough... and I agree, the chances are remote. I just like increasing my odds. In my experience, people (techs included!) are generally honest, but also often over-worked and they can make mistakes. I figure if I get into a argument about whose fault something is, then I've already lost regardless of the outcome. So I like to eliminate that possibility.