Applecare question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gravyboat, Jun 8, 2007.

1. gravyboat macrumors member

I bought an iMac on May 29, 2006 through Amazon. They were some delays and it didn't arrive until June 24, 2006. Of course I screwed up and forgot about getting Applecare before now as I was thinking I had until June 24th. But when I called to the Apple store today they told me that they go by the date of purchase, not delivery, so it's too late to get Applecare.

Does this sound correct? Thanks for any help on this.

2. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Well, you might not need applecare. Since you forgot to get it, I can assume you didn't need phone support nor had any technical issues with your mac. generally, if electronics have a problem it's within the first year.

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Yep, sounds correct. But you might call Apple Care and talk to a rep. They might have pity.

Though I thought you had to buy within the first three months, not a year. Could be wrong.

4. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies. Hopefully I'll never need Applecare, but I'd still like to have it. I'll contact them and plead my case. Cheers!

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yes you can buy it any time with in your first year
    You might have a hard time getting them to change there mind. Good luck

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The date you register is the date they use for Apple care.

7. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the additional feedback. I've talked with 3 people with Apple so far and they all say they go by the purchase date. On Monday I'll call again and ask about the registration date.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

When I bought an MBP, it took a few days to arrive. The date listed in my support profile is the day I received it (presumably when I registered it online as part of the setup process). How do Apple know when you bought it? You bought it from a reseller, after all.

9. gravyboat thread starter macrumors member

Nermal,

Good question. But what would stop someone from not registering for say 2 months? Couldn't you effectively extend your warranty in this manner? I'll contact Applecare next week and see how this works. If they go by the registration date then I think I'm still eligible.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

apple tracks when the computer was sold and if their records don't match the day you say you bought it, and that's not unusual if you bought it from a reseller, then they'll ask you for a copy of your sales receipt to verify the start of your warranty date

as you suggest, if they went by the registration date, it could lead to people "extending" their warranty by waiting to register....or not registering at all for that matter

of course maybe you'll be lucky and the sale date they got from the reseller is tilted in your favor....but have your receipt handy just in case

11. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Okay wait,

I wanna get this straight, I ordered a macbook last year and it shipped on june 16th, and it got to me June 20th, and i bought my apple care 5 minutes ago (June 18th) and it should get here soon, so will i be able to use this apple care!?

12. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

Check with your credit card company, often they have programs in place that double the manufacturers warranty. you may be covered without even knowing it.