Applecare question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makowb, Oct 4, 2008.

1. makowb macrumors member

This may sound a little stupid but I'm a poor college student and am always looking for good deals and I just found one that will help my MBP purchase (when they come out...). To be more precise, I am going to use live.com's 30% cashback offer to buy applecare off of ebay for a MBP, making it cost 154$ instead of 350$ brand new. Does anyone happen to know if I will be able to apply this to the new one? The thing is live.com's %off number goes up and down all the time capping at 30%. They also only have the ebay thing every few months or so. I could wait the 2 weeks to see, but I would hate to lose that deal.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If you are a college student you can buy AppleCare for $183, and you don't have to worry about shipping, bidding or waiting for it to arrive. Just my two cents.

3. makowb thread starter macrumors member

I go to University of Washington (not a small school) and the price is 240$ for Macbook Pro's, it's 350 MSRP, i doubt it would be 180 for students. On a side note, it's 180 for macbooks (on sale for 140 right now at my school.)

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Good deal.

I bought Applecare on eBay for my MBP at $212 before Microsoft had that cashback thing going on. At my college, it's $240. Some colleges will give you MUCH better discounts, just that mine at the time was pretty lousy.

The way it works is that eBay sellers will either mail you the actual Applecare package, or they will at your request email you the serial number.

In either case, all you need to do to activate it is to go to apple.com/support and input your Applecare agreement number along with your MBP's serial number and a bunch of personal information and boom, you're registered with Applecare.

So yeah, go for it, make sure that it's a seller that has sold Applecare in the past and check to see the feedback from customers that have bought Applecare from them to see if it worked for them.

5. makowb thread starter macrumors member

Well thanks for that little bit of information, but I was mainly looking for whether or not a current applecare package will work with the supposedly unreleased macbook pros?

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I'm looking for that answer as well. (Sorry about my earlier post with the incorrect $$$ on AppleCare, I quoted the price for MB v. MBP which is $239/$240, as you stated). I'm hoping AppleCare EDU has something ready to go soon.

7. makowb thread starter macrumors member

No one knows if applecare bought during one generation of MBP will work on the next? Just curious because live.com has 30% off this weekend...meaning 140$ for MBP applecare...$100 off the edu discount one.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not guaranteed it will work. Like say if you bought a AppleCare for a PowerBook, it may not work on the MacBook Pro, but you can go to the Apple Store and swap it.

9. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Yeah, I was wondering this as well. Maybe I'll wait until a few weeks after I've gotten my new machine then hunt around for a deal.

10. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I'm 95% certain that if you buy MBP AppleCare now and then try to apply it to a new (as yet unreleased) MBP it will be fine.

I used to work for an Apple dealer and we usually had 3+ months of AppleCare stock (comes in a little box with a manual, code and Techtool CD). When new models were released, the older stock of AppleCares ALWAYS worked. This was true even for completely new models. For example, iBook AppleCare could be successfully applied to MacBooks!

2 other points to consider:-

Dealers get a lot of credit (READ: MONEY!) for selling large amounts of AppleCare, you should always be able to negotiate 10%-20% off without any trouble. FYI, the dealer mark ups on AppleCare are around 25-35%.

In the UK, if you buy a new Mac through the Higher Education online store you get AppleCare for cheap/free! Have you looked into that? Might be worth giving the online store a ring. You CAN'T do this kind of offer in the retail stores.

Hope this helps!

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Too bad the OP doesn't live in the UK.