Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I am going to buy a new macbook in the next year. I saw the live.com rebate and I was thinking--can I buy applecare now on ebay and then not register it for however long it is till I get my computer? would this affect my warranty at all?

Would this work?

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
whatabout the purchase date of the computer? If I buy a computer on ebay when I register it with applecare will it start the day the computer was bought from the store or the day I register the computer?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Applecare starts on the day you buy the computer.

If it's bought on ebay, it starts on the day they bought the computer (unless it's a legitimate authorized reseller).

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
He's talking about AppleCare. Yes, you can buy AppleCare from Ebay and then register it in the future when you buy your computer. It will have to be within the computer's one year warranty... and AppleCare will start the day of the purchase of the computer. The registration code you buy off ebay can be be saved almost indefinitely... it's up to Apple. I've used AppleCare codes from as old as about 6 years old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.