AppleCare question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boston04and07, Jan 1, 2009.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

So, I'm having a bit of an argument with my dad right now over warranties - in particar, the ones Apple sells. The basic 1-yr plan that came with my MacBook is going to expire in a few days, and he seems to think that Apple will still sell me one after the 1-yr mark, only at an elevated price. Now, I've never heard of Apple doing this, (and it doesn't seem to make much business sense for them to do that, anyways). I'm 99.9% sure that i know the answer to this question and that they won't, and just wanted to get some proof that I'm right. :)

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

3. seattle macrumors 6502

Found this on Apple.com

"Important Note

The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your Mac is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty. See AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete product details."

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Uhh your dad is wrong. I have never seen apple doing this before. If your dad doesn't believe you take him to a apple store or a local apple retailer store I'd bet the employees could explain it to him thoroughly and have more experience with the apple products than your dad does...

5. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thank you for your quick responses! I didn't find that bit on the Apple site - I wouldnt have posted if I had! I was planning on getting the warranty anyways, this was just a...lively discussion! I think he was really just messing with me for half of it now that I think of it...oh well, at least that question's answered!

6. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

you can even find legitimate applecare for dirt cheap on ebay, i just got one for my mac and ipod for all under 120$ total.

7. hhlee macrumors 6502

applecare is VERY good to have - you must purchase it before your 1 year runs out.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You can buy Applecare up to and including the last day of your initial one year warranty, but not one second after that. I strongly recommend getting Applecare, for peace of mind, for resale value should you wish to sell in the future, and for the fact that you now have cover for an additional two years, should anything go pear-shaped with your Mac.

Cheers and good luck

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Is it when you buy the Applecare, or when you register it?

I'd try to buy in good time, so you actually have the box before the year runs out.

10. jon08 macrumors 68000

Just get applecare off a trusted seller on eBay..most of them send you the code within 12 hours after the purchase!

11. mynameisadam macrumors member

mynameisadam

i should note, if you dont get the apple care one call even within the 1 year warranty call to apple will cost you 59.99 *ouch*.

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My opinion is that AppleCare on a desktop is a rip-off, but laptops are routinely exposed to a remarkable amount of abuse. I've heard of tons of laptops that start acting up around the 16-month mark. Definitely worth the money.

13. calabi macrumors regular

14. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have purchased AppleCare on Ebay for my Macbook and iPod Touch and it all worked out fine.

15. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Read the guy's feedback. Remember no one can make 100% people happy so I would think this guy is ok. I never read his negatives so do that first.