Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eidimon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
I am thinking of buying an older generation iMac (the 3,06 Ghz model), which is quite cheap in a UK store.
However, since i live abroad, and they don't deliver here, a friend of mine who lives there is going to buy it for me.
What i am concerned about is this :
I want to buy an AppleCare plan as well.
If it is bought at the same time, he would then have to transfer the plan to me, and although it's not such a huge procedure, it still is a procedure.
Will there be any problem if my friend buys the computer and then i buy an Applecare agreement and register it for the specific hardware in my name without having to do anything else?
or does he still has to notify anyone that i am the new iMac owner?
Thanks in advance...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You have a year from the date of the purchase of the iMac to buy your Apple Care... so it shouldn't be a problem

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

eidimon

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Basically, the only concern i have is whether there would be any issue as the iMac won't be bought by me, and the proof of purchase won't be in my name.
I'm just thinking if there's a chance, should a repair be needed, that i will have any issue with the local authorized repairer, as the proof of the iMac purchase will be in my friends name, and the AppleCare agreement in mine

Ejg94

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Up North in UK
make your friend buy the apple care with the imac, and he will get money off and then as soon as you do that, sign up the apple care in your name and it will be fine... This is because the mac could be a gift... I'm sure if you explain this to nice apple and not nasty microsoft, you'll be fine...
Although i reckon you should call apple before hand and explain the situation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.