Applecare question?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jnguyen4, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jnguyen4 macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Ok, I have cracks in my white Macbook and i want to get it replaced by apple. I have replaced my harddrive and I heard people told me that I need to put the old HDD back. Changing my own Harddrive void my warranty? Thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It doesn't void your warranty but what people have told, Apple doesn't like fixing machines which doesn't have it's original parts in it, but it shouldn't affect on your repair 'cause you don't have component problems (boots properly etc)

Some people have told that Apple refused fixing brand new machines 'cause they had 3rd party RAM in it.

3. jnguyen4 thread starter macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

Since they're just doing the top case, they're not going to check any hardware right?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No they shouldn't, and if they do, so what? Changing HD doesn't avoid warranty and many people do that.

5. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Changing your hard drive does actually void your warranty unless it's done by an apple authorized repair facility. User replacements are not under warranty, but in this case it shouldn't matter because the topcase is the issue, not the internals.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, it does not. Look at this thread