AppleCare question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jul 19, 2009.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I received AppleCare on one of my machines, and it is being returned due to a defect.

Do I have to get a new AppleCare warranty or can I just use the one they sent me? They sent me a CD, an AppleCare Protection PLan Certificate (with part No., hardware serial no. and coverage end date.)

Can I sell this warranty myself? I read that some are being sold on ebay. Is it legal to sell your warranty?

2. pnyc macrumors 6502

What do you mean sell the warranty? If the AppleCare warranty is enrolled/activated for your mac it can no longer be activated/reactivated by someone else to use with their machine.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

We need more clarification here.

Did they send you a new warranty with the replacement machine?

4. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I got a 7200 RPM HDD beep/click problem, and after a week of being ignored, they decided to make it up to me by giving me AppleCare.

So they sent a replacement 5400 RPM unit, and a couple of days later the AppleCare envelope came in the mail with the aformentioned items.

The replacement 5400 rpm unit has a freezing problem (I think it i sHDD related) and it has a dent in the bottom panel. I am trying to return it.

Do I keep the AppleCare, or is it tied to the 5400 rpm unit they sent me? If it is tied to it, how come I hear about people selling AppleCare on ebay?

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

The AppleCare has already been activated. You can not sell it.

It should be tied to your current computer. Check for yourself here

6. dantidote macrumors member

You can get the machine repaired as many times as necessary with the one AppleCare. It doesn't cancel after a single repair.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That wasn't the issue.

OP, are they replacing your entire machine, or just the HDD?