Applecare question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theydonotmove, Jan 23, 2010.

1. theydonotmove macrumors member

theydonotmove

When you buy Applecare from the Apple store. Does the purchase extend your warranty from the point of purchase of Applecare or the point of purchase of the computer itself?

I'm saving up to get a Macbook Pro with the fancy new processor. I'd like to have Applecare on it because laptops have a higher margin for failure (moving parts on a moving computer, you know how it is), and i know that many companies that offer warranty on their products usually make their products with components that will fail just after the warranty expires. Thus making your investment worthless, I'm sure Apple is no exception.

So the question is basicly... Can i buy Applecare just before the one-year warranty expires and therefore get four years of coverage? Or will the three years start from the time i purchased the computer the Applecare service is for?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It starts from the time of purchase of the computer. You get three years (one complimentary plus the two with the extension) if you buy it with the computer or 364 days after.

3. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

damn, oh well.

i guess i'll just have to get it and renew it from time to time.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

AFAIK you can only do it once. So 3 years is the maximum coverage you can get.

5. starcrossed macrumors regular

Applecare is tied to the computer's serial number so one period of 3 years is all you get. Basically with Applecare your buying 2 years of warranty repairs and 2 years and 10 months of phone support. Automatically your covered for the the first year in warranty repairs and 60 days of phone support I believe, without the purchase.

6. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

you can't renew applecare?

So they offer you 3 years of warranty and after that you're on your own? so when your computer breaks after three years (as it's built to, so apple will profit), you have to start paying apple prices for repairs?

**** you steve jobs.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's the way it works. No company offers lifetime warranty on computers. That would be ridiculous.

8. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

the slogan aught to be "profit different"

actually that's how everyone profits... but still.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Paying for computer repairs???????? OMG. :eek:

It also doesn't cover accidental damage, so don't start a thread here when you drop/spill liquid/crack the screen on your machine either.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There is a very robust third party market selling OEM parts so you can still fix your antique...i mean computer if it breaks down.

Besides there are powerbooks and such still kicking out in the wild. I've even seen a pismo in action for school.

11. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

this is true, i am purchasing a mac for this exact reason. that as long as you keep it well, it will last you forever.

I know people still using clamshell iBooks, macs do last.

whats OEM?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

13. Paul B macrumors 6502

Does AppleCare start the day after your standard warranty ends? (1 year after you register your Mac)

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, actually it overlaps. For example, telephone support under the standard warranty ends after 90 days, but if you buy AppleCare before that time, telephone support continues uninterrupted for 3 years from the date your computer is purchased. Any repairs are covered by the Warranty until it expires, then under AppleCare until the 3 years expires.

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603

In another thread (not sure if it was this forum) someone said that if the phone support expires before you purchase Apple Care, it will pick up again and last for the duration of the warranty coverage.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's true. If you let the phone support expire after 90 days, then buy AppleCare 3 months later, you'll get phone support again for 2 1/2 years.