Applecare question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by poblack, Feb 21, 2010.

1. poblack macrumors regular

So I'm about to buy a used 15" Macbook Pro from craigslist. The seller upgraded the HD and RAM and and said that the Applecare is good until Feb. 2012. My question is do these upgrades void the applecare warranty? I ask because some warranties are void if you open up the computer or break the manufacturer's seal.

Also, is Applecare transferable? He said it is under his name but if there was ever any problem they would use the computer serial number.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They don't void the warranty, but the new (non-Apple) parts are not covered and if they determine that one of the upgrades caused whatever problems you're having they won't fix it.

Also, AC is by serial number- you can transfer the name but it doesn't really matter.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Warranty is not voided, and Apple Care is bound to the machine and not the owner.

So a burglar stealing a MBP with Apple Care will have access to the warranty.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Adding RAM does not void the warranty or AppleCare. There are mixed opinions about whether changing the HD does or not. In both cases, any damage done during the install would not be covered. Yes, AppleCare is transferable to the new owner.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

That's not so.

Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?

Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have never seen anyone get denied because they didn't have their name on file with Apple, though i've been asked and IDed many times while getting service done. If you do purchase it ensure that it IS transfered over in your name because one can simply call Apple and have the plan terminated and recieve a prorated check in the mail :D The process is laborious but necessary.

7. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

if it is a unibody then the warranty is not void for the hd change. If not that is up in the air.

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It is so, it doesn't specifically state that it must be transferred in order to utilize the benefits of the plan. I have had multiple macs from craigslist that were registered to various people, and the geniuses never second guessed my identity. The name that is attached to the serial is completely arbitrary, and Apple employees are trained to disregard it.

Also, this. The date of AppleCare expiration tells us that it is a "late 2008" model, one in which the HDD was designed to be replaced by the end user.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is strange, as I never was asked to prove the ownership of the ACPP or even my identity to any authorized party that had to handle my Macs.
    They looked up the information on the specific Mac (serial number) and then proceeded with their work. So that could result in a thief getting free repairs on the Macs s/he has stolen, as they don't have to prove anything.

6. Transfer of Plan
    Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your rights under the Plan to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include the original Proof of Purchase, the Plan's Certificate and all of the Plan's packaging material, including printed materials and these Terms and Conditions; (b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN: Agreement Administration, MS: 217AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-399-7337 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively; and (c) the party receiving the Plan reads and agrees to accept the Terms and Conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the Plan Agreement Number, the serial numbers of the Covered Equipment being transferred and the name, address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

from http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/NA_APP_English_v5.2.pdf

Does the above mean, that the people working at Apple authorized retail shops / repair services are doing something wrong?

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I have a early 2008 mbp that the apple care expires Jan 14 2012. They were still on the refirb site for several more months.