AppleCare Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techguy20, May 30, 2010.

1. techguy20 macrumors 6502

My new MBP should arrive Tuesday. (17" i7 500GB 7200rpm)

A few questions regarding AppleCare:

1) I will be using it for gaming through BootCamp. I know that the 330M is easily overclocked, which I will probably do. If it were to die, would the replacement be covered through AppleCare? Would apple even know since the overclock is only seen on the Windows partition anyway?

2) The computer was purchased in May 2010. If I applied AppleCare this week, I would have full coverage until May 2013. However, let's say I were to wait and get AppleCare in early-May 2011. Would I then have an ADDITIONAL 3 years of coverage until May 2014? or would it still only bring me to May 2013?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Only to May 2013.

3. MortalDays macrumors regular

It doesn't matter when you purchase your Apple Care. Apple Care starts on the day you purchased your macbook pro no matter what.

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1 to apple care. i wish they would allow it 3 yrs added to the original 1 year warranty given to us. so it would = 4 yrs. seems better since about 4 yrs time you would upgrade to a new rig anyways.

5. MortalDays macrumors regular

Everything revolves $$$. ;)

6. Vitr macrumors member

Vitr

Just make sure you purchase Applecare within 1 yr of product purchase. As for the overclocking issue, I wouldn't really recommend it. If there is any proof that the card was overclocked, I assume (though am not 100% sure) that this would void any coverage for the card. Also, there are generally some concerns with high T's with intensive gaming. An overclock would definitely make cooling a more serious issue.

7. fitto13 macrumors member

Applecare (especially if you are a student) is not that expensive really.

As I'm a student, I can get it for $335 AU through the Apple store.

Seeing as it is actually only 2 years extra for me as I'll buy it after 1 year because of the stock 1 year warranty.

2 years is 730 days;
    Thus, it's only costing $0.45/day or $3.22/week.

If you bought it at the outset, then over 3 years it's (for Aus students at least)
    $0.31/day or $2.15/week.

--
    Basically, that's one store bought coffee a week :rolleyes:

Not bad, IMO.

8. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr