Applecare question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flatlined, Jun 12, 2010.

1. flatlined macrumors member

I got my 3GS in November and got the Extended Apple Care a little after Christmas with money from that. I paid around $70. I believe it was. I activated it that day. Since I'm past the 30 days and not into that year of it yet will they refund me the amount that I paid at the time?

Thanks

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Looking at the terms of service, it looks like you can get a refund, but not for the full amount you originally paid.

3. brdnboy macrumors regular

Short answer: No.

Explanation: AppleCare once purchased, has a 30 day return policy. After the 30 days your only other option for reimbursement is to cancel the coverage for a pro rated amount. The pro rated amount is calculated from the phone purchase date, not the AppleCare purchase date. At this point out of the $70 you would be getting back a little over half. There is also a fee for canceling which would leave you you with less than $35. It is most likely not worth it to do. Out of curiosity why are trying to cancel/return the AppleCare?

4. flatlined thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about doing the Trade-In at Radio Shack.

So from what i read it's not possible to transfer it over to an iPhone 4 is it?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, next time wait till the last month when your factory 1 year warranty expires before you activate/extend it for one more year with Applecare.
    Thats what I did. I still have the unopened Applecare box that I purchased on ebay for around $40 and glad I didnt activate it cause Im about to sell the 3GS and get the new iphone.
    Lesson learned....

6. walds11 macrumors 6502a

You purchased AppleCare on ebay for $40. Wow. I may have to go that route. And you are not required to activate it right away?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    You can find some for even $30 with free shipping.
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...kw=iphone+applecare&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    You dont have to activate it at all untill you're ready. Its just the same sealed box you would get from an Apple or AT&T store.

8. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Sweet!!!

Now I have to decide if I want to purchase AppleCare for my 3GS. The limited one year warranty runs out on Tuesday. I am upgrading to the iPhone 4 and giving my wife my 3GS.

9. flatlined thread starter macrumors member

So would it be $70. - $25.? Like I said I'm still in the Applecare that came with the iPhone till November. So since I'm past the 30 days I got the extended apple care and not into that year it should be $70. - $25. since I'm not into the extended part right?

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Don't do the Radio Shack trade in!!

You could sell your phone on Craigslist to people who want to unlock and use it on T-Mobile or people who don't want a contract for over $300!!

The Radio Shack trade-in value is ridiculously low.

I am selling my iPhone 3G 16GB for $300+ on craigslist this week, and it's only a 3G! Radio Shack would only give me $100.

11. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

By the way, to you an to everyone who reads this.

Get your AppleCare for any Apple products on either Amazon.com or Ebay. It's the exact same coverage for about half the price. You can get the iPhone AppleCare upgrade for around $35 instead of $70. As long as you confirm that the seller has good feedback, you won't have any problems.

This can REALLY save you money on Macbook Pro Applecare and others that are more expensive.

12. brdnboy macrumors regular

No, The pro rated amount is calculated from the phone purchase date, not the AppleCare purchase date. So at this point you would be at 8/24th coverage gone. So 70-23.33=$46.67-$4.67=$42. Thats not exact math but roughly $42 bucks if you cancel. That amount will buy you new AppleCare on your next phone if you buy it from ebay ($30-40), so it may be worth it.