AppleCare questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britneyfan, Jan 1, 2011.

1. britneyfan macrumors 6502

I got applecare for the macbook pro.

Does it only cover random defects?
    I used canned air for my keyboard today... will that make the water indicator go off? It looked like some moisture went on the Q key. If something happens with the keyboard or a key falls off, would applecare cover it?
    I also am not sure how to hold it. I like to hold it with one hand, but it feels like I have pressure on one part. If something were to happen from holding it, like a harddrive defect (Not dropping it), would applecare cover it?
    It makes noise sometimes, but nothing major! Like a computer. When I'm opening an app, it very quietly makes noise. If something goes out will applecare cover it?
    At the time of purchase, I was given a case (Incase hardshell) If something happens or it overheats, due to that case, would apple cover it?
    The lid of the computer seems a little wobbly, which is normal... if it gets too wobbly would applecare cover it?
    I'm using the computer on my lap right now... could anything happen to it from it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. It covers non-user caused electronics failure. That doesn't automatically mean "random" defects.

It shouldn't.

As long as they determine it wasn't your fault.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes. Use your imagination.

3. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Apple care should cover mechanical defects (not thinks that happen because you've broken it) and canned air should be okay (just hold it at the recommended distance, and you don't need to do this very often- especially as you've a new machine. I mean, I've done it once in 6 months and live amongst a lot of dust)

The design is pretty strong- as long as you don't hold it by the screen:eek: you should be okay (if I move it one handed I spread my fingers to distribute the pressure. If the computer stops working you should be fine with apple care but the noises you described are normal- don't worry.

The computer has a fairly good heat tolerance range- and it can run quite hot sometimes. You should be okay, just enjoy using it!

4. britneyfan, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011

britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys! So it's okay to use it laying down or on my lap?

Oh and whenever I move it, it sounds like the optical drive makes noise? Is this normal and could it effect the computer?

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The noise your hearing is probably the HDD parking the heads because of the Sudden Motion Sensor. When it detects sudden movement it parts the HDD heads so it doesnt damage the platters.

6. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Oh yeah, its very happy to be used in lots of ways. One thing I like to do is hold it on its side like a book- I can read manga on a screen bigger than the iPad! (have the 13" and its nearly like a sheet of A4 in portrait mode!)

7. britneyfan, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011

britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

ohhh :)
    thanks

fareal?

8. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

So I was just cleaning it with some solvent and some got in the speaker... place, by the bottom of the screen. I'm scared. It works perfectly, but I'm scared they'll detect moisture.
    Another thing I used was a yellow squeegee thing that is gooey, it's supposed to get dirt off of the keyboard. It felt a little wet after I pulled it up.

Will the moisture indicator go off?

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You need to get moisture directly on the sensor to trip it but i doubt you did. Spray the towel first then wipe, dont spray the mbp.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

My gosh just use your computer.... :rolleyes:

11. britneyfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm scared!
    I spend nearly $300 on applecare!!!