Applecare - Quick Question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JesterDev, Feb 2, 2008.

1. JesterDev macrumors newbie

Still trying to decide whether or not to get AppleCare with my Mac Pro but I do have one question. Is my Mac covered for just 3 years, or 1 year standard warranty + 3 years with AppleCare?

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Three years total. So the original one year, plus two years on top of that if you get AppleCare (plus three years of telephone support instead of 90 days).

3. caeneal macrumors member

1 year standard, plus 2 more years with apple care. So 1 year standard, or three years (1+2) with applecare.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

5. Mr. Mustard macrumors member

the apple store employees will treat you differently if you have it.

6. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

very, very true... the macbook pro, that's a little different, more crap to break due to movement... i mean what can happen in an office? if you spill something on it it's still not covered...

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I didn't get applecare because the way i see it. If something is to die after the one year. Chances are it will be a hard drive, DVD drive, video card etc. All these things i can replace for less then $249 (price of apple care) The video card might be a bit over that but not a whole lot. I can live with that. Chances are good i will be fine after one year anyway. I have the apple service manual anyway...just in case. :D

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I recently picked up Applecare on eBay for my Mac Pro for $139.00....so look for deals.

Even the Mac Pro.....things can break or go bad, even after 1 year. If you can afford it, better to be safe than sorry.

-Kevin

9. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

You might be able to get even more than the three years depending on what cedit card you use. I'm paying for my Applecare w/ my AmEx card. They provide an additional year of the same (full) coverage. The only difference is that in the 4th year I would have to go to them first rather than directly to Apple. AmEx customer service is good enough that I am not worried about it.

10. Chris204 macrumors regular

Is the AppleCare you find on eBay country specific? Can I buy it from a seller in the U.S. to be valid in Canada?

11. f1 macrumors 6502

Applecare is region specific one of the regions is North America, so you could buy american applecare and use it in Canada and vice versa. Also, if you live far from an apple store or authorized repair centre applecare would be a good idea because you will need to call applecare directly to have them send you a box to ship your computer back to their repair centre and without applecare you only get one phone call within the first 90 days of purchase of your computer.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Absolutely untrue. While this may be in the fine print Apple does not make any such restrictions. I bought my AppleCare from L.A. Computer in the USA and applied it to my Japan Apple Store-purchased iMac with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

L.A. Computer has some of the best deals on AppleCare of anywhere outside of auctions by the way:

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/featured.cgi?group=appcare

These are the retail boxes shrink-wrapped. I trust them much more than anything I could get on eBay.

13. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

14. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

If any of you have a CompUSA in town that is closing down, mine had Applecare 50% off... so I got it for my Macbook Pro for $188.11 after tax.

Funny thing is I didn't even know they had it on sale until I stopped in to my local apple authorized repair center and the owner told me that someone else had gotten a deal on applecare over at compusa and that I should check it out, even though they sell Applecare themselves :)

Needless to say, I'm impressed and will likely continue to come in for service and for my next mac related purchase.

15. JesterDev thread starter macrumors newbie

I was actually thinking I wasn't going to get it with my Mac Pro. I have almost always relied on my own abilities to repair my PC's. The only thing I don't feel right about repairing is notebooks..

Thanks for the advice everyone! Saved me $250!