AppleCareIm planning on buying a new 13-inch macbook pro but im not sure if applecare is necessary.
I plan to keep this computer for 2 years only.
It's not $50 less and even at the same price, it's cheaper from Apple if you qualify for an education discount.Also, if you do purchase it - buy from amazon. Its $50 less and full of tax free awesomeness.
Thanks! I didn't know you could buy applecare any point of the one year warranty. Thanks for responding.AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
- You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
- You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
- AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
- You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
- Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
- AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
- Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
- For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.
As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.
True it would sell for more. Thanks!Keep in mind when you sell your computer (you said you were only keeping it 2 years), you'll get a good deal more if it has another year of Applecare warranty, than if you're selling a computer with no warranty remaining. I think a major reason to get Applecare is if you buy new more then every 3 years, it definitely helps on resale (not to mention fixing problems after the first year if you have any).