Applecare - received by accident

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomtakesphotos, May 24, 2013.

1. tomtakesphotos macrumors newbie

On 25th April I bought a rMBP through my university portal to get educational discount, I did not select the option for Applecare.

Yesterday I received an Applecare protection plan certificate for the macbook running until 2016, I certainly didn't purchase it myself (I was planning to after a year).

Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like taking it into Apple and asking if I'm actually covered as I don't want to rely on this being my warranty, not buying it properly and then being screwed later if the mbp goes wrong.

Does anyone know if the retail stores will be able to access my records as I bought the mac online? I know they're somewhat separate entities.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Contact apple and state what occurred, they may just say keep it.

3. tomtakesphotos thread starter macrumors newbie

Fingers crossed!

4. peejack macrumors 6502a

You get a version of Apple care for free when purchasing online through Apple. It covers 3 years parts and labour on the machine.

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

If you purchased it through your university portal, perhaps your school paid for the AppleCare warranty.

It's a long shot but it's possible.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I would not be contacting Apple if they sent me a certificate that was for the serial number of my machine. Just smile and safely store the certificate.

7. tomtakesphotos thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems that this is correct... I just this minute had an emailing confirming the Applecare as part of the "Higher Education National Contract" (UK Based).

Saves me £50 :)

8. r6mile macrumors 6502

In the UK (if that's where you are), you get 3 year warranty for free when you buy as a student, it was no mistake. The only difference between that an Applecare is that you don't get 3 year phone support (only 1), but to be honest, who cares, it's free!

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Nice! Hope they would offer that in the USA.....

10. Koulie macrumors regular

Koulie

All students move to the UK!

11. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

Please don't were already having trouble with our population as it is! :eek:

12. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

13. r6mile macrumors 6502

I thought students in all countries got the 3 year warranty! I didn't realise it was a UK-only deal, makes me realise how lucky we are!

Thing is too, you only get it if you buy it online. If you try to buy it in store, they'll charge you £48 for AppleCare (which only differs because you get 3 year phone support, but you still get 3 year warranty). I remember going in store, asking if I would get the 3 year warranty for free, and they didn't know what I was talking about. Not much of a Genius...

I went in yesterday to check out the rMBP, and at one point the guy tried to talk up the Air. I said that it looks good, but I'm not sure about the processing power, and the 'Genius' said that these days, processing power doesn't matter. I looked at him veery sceptically...

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I work for an organization that qualifies for education discounts and I only get a single year unless I specifically purchase apple care