AppleCare+ refund before selling iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by culverh0use, Apr 3, 2016.

1. culverh0use macrumors newbie

I'm planning on selling my 16GB 6s+ on Swappa as I've upgraded to a 64GB 6s. It has AppleCare+ coverage on it and I'm trying to decide if I'll make more money selling it with the coverage intact or if I should just get a prorated refund from Apple. I haven't used any of my accidental damage coverage, and I got it in October of last year, so if my math is right I'm thinking I'd get $85-90 or so from Apple if I ask for a refund. My model iPhone is selling for about $600 on Swappa as-is. Any suggestions?

2. CYKBC macrumors 6502

There's no such thing as a refund from Apple. That's why I didn't get one for my new 6. I ended up wasting money two times.

3. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

4. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

I can vouch for this, I was able to contact Apple last year when I upgraded my iPhone and sold my old phone locally, and the guy I sold it to didn't care for apple care, so I contacted Apple and they sent the refund for the remainder of the time on the plan withing like 2 business days

5. culverh0use thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I just get the refund from Apple for AppleCare+ and then sell it? I mean it will still be covered under the standard warranty. Just want to get as much total money as possible.

6. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Depends. List it and post with AppleCare+
    And if a couple days pass and you don't feel it'll sell then get reimbursed and lower the price

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

I think it's a moot point. Your likely to be able to sell it for $25 to 50 or so more for it having AppleCare then The $50 that AppleCare will refund you for cancelling AppleCare
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2016 ---
    The pro rata refund is based on the percentage of unexpired Plan Term from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan.

8. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I always get Ac plus on my devices because I know I can just get a refund if I change my mind.

9. culverh0use thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't realize they charged a $25 fee. Maybe I will just list it with the coverage.

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

It will sell faster with Apple care. People are reassured when they see a product that has Apple care. Quick nickels are better than slow dimes!

11. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Yes there is I have dine it three times. I got back $45 of my $99 each time after one years use and no claims.

12. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i think people on swappa haggle too much. but i use it all the time , the selling fees are cheaper then eBay thats for sure

13. Barrierfreeman macrumors regular

Barrierfreeman

How gutted is this guy now....

14. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Yes there is.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the idea of selling the phone with AC is better then without. You'll not get much $$ back from apple because of proration, so why not use the extended warranty to increase the sale price (or speed of it selling).

16. laudern macrumors 6502a

Mate sell the phone with applecare for more money, then after the exchange has gone down, cancel the applecare and get your refund. It's a win-win.

Just don't let these do gooders talk you out of it.

17. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Wrong

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

from my experience, you are better off getting a refund for the AC+ than trying to sell with it. Say you get $45 back from your prorated refund....that would probably translate to an extra $15 on the second hand market.

People just look at the price to get the phone online. Something like the apple watch people want AC+ for, but the phone it doesn't seem to make that big of a difference.

That is based on my experience selling iPhones every year. The 6S was the first time I did not get AC+, and I got the same amount I get every year for phones with AC+ ($550)

19. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Where is the downvote when you need it??
    Upvote here to show what you think.....

20. 617aircav Suspended

Apple care + means nothing to those wanting a bargain. Fact is the phone having regular Apple care is good enough.

21. noobinator macrumors 601

I never understand how people take into account the fact that is has apple care + when looking for a used device. The fact that the purchaser can cancel at any time, makes me not consider AC+ at all when looking at used devices. Yes, they can say all day they won't cancel but who knows.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

You can transfer it to someone else. That is the only way I would consider it. The original owner can call apple and actually have the AC+ transferred to the new person.

23. HEK, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

The AppleCare+ is assigned to the phone and the person. If you sell the phone, you contact Apple and have the AppleCare+ transferred to the new owner. It does not happen automatically. Likewise if you want a prorated refund for the unused time of AppleCare+ you contact Apple and they will refund the prorated amount. As long as you have not used the replacement options you will get some money back.

I have tried to sell phone with AppleCare+ but buyer didn't want to pay the $45 for a year with two replacements for $79 each. Ok I cancelled AppleCare+ on that phone and got $45 back from Apple. Have done this with three phones. All it takes is a phone call. Have your AppleCare+ receipt when you call.

If you transfer to new owner, the you can no longer cancel. If you buy a phone from someone they have to transfer the AppleCare+ to you. Confirm with Apple. Otherwise yes they can cancel. Remember if you buy the phone you don't have the Apple care+ with replacement insurance unless your name has been Asscociates with the AppleCare+ on the phone. IT IS NOT AUTOMATIC.

All details may be found in the AppleCare+ terms of agreement which may vary by product and country. I am USA customer and as I said got a little less than half my money back after one year.