Applecare Registration

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MattJessop, Jul 1, 2007.

1. MattJessop macrumors regular

MattJessop

Hey guys,

Just letting you all know that I'm purchasing a C2D Macbook 2.13Ghz next week, and just wanted to ask some questions about it. I'm buying it from the US (I live in the UK) as it's a fairly large amount cheaper, and I'm on holiday there anyway. Regarding the Applecare warranty.

1. Is there any benefit/discount for buying it WITH the machine?
    2. Will there be any problem for me buying it in the US, as It'll be used in the UK as I live there. I know it's worldwide warranty, but are there any fine details I should know?
    3. If I buy it from the store alongside the Macbook, then do I have to register it then? Or can I leave it till later?
    4. Would it be worth buying the US Macbook, then the UK Applecare? Is this possible?

Thank you very much for any help you could give me with this. I'm fairly confident I'll be fine, but just wanted to make sure first. :)

2. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

I thought because of British consumer law, it was unnecessary to get Applecare.

3. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Well, we have one years standard manufacturer's warranty, which is as far as I'm aware in line with what Apple US gives anyway (slightly below Europe's 2 years though)

4. lag1090 macrumors 6502

If the computer's not purchased in the UK, I'm fairly sure that clause in the UK's consumer protection law wouldn't apply.

5. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Yup. Hence why I need to see if it's possible to buy Applecare in the US as its a lot cheaper there.

6. absoluttl macrumors newbie

Please check out the following two links, you can purchase apple care within the 1st year of your purchase (before you official warranty runs out). As far as where to purchase the apple care, I remembered reading it somewhere that apple recommends buy apple care from the country of your residence since the term and conditions are slightly difference from county to country. <-- i can't find the fine print but i remember i have read it somewhere.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html
    http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

cheers,

7. absoluttl macrumors newbie

never mind :) i got the link for you... buy it from UK

http://www.apple.com/ca/support/products/faqs.html

FAQ FROM APPLE CARE (CANADA)

What does the “global repair coverage” mean? Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anywhere?
    If you carry your Apple computer or iPod when you travel and happen to need repair service, AppleCare Protection Plan offers global repair coverage. You can either go to an Apple retail store or contact Apple, and they’ll provide you with specific information on how to obtain service.

We recommend you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan in your country of residence as each AppleCare Protection Plan has terms and conditions specific to consumers of the country or region where offered. Service will be limited to the options available in the country where service is requested. Service options, parts availability, and response time vary according to country. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions for complete details.

cheers,

8. MattJessop thread starter macrumors regular

MattJessop

Yeah, thank you very much.

I'd spent a great deal reading those anyway, and had read the 'recommended' purchase from your country of residence, but just wanted to make sure. It would make sense to buy it from the U.K. Honestly I think I just wanted to make sure what my options were, because the U.S is nearly half as cheap.