Applecare repair > deep scratch on lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Aug 27, 2010.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I got my MBP back on tuesday and today I was looking at my lid and noticed a pretty deep (black) scratch on the lid. I'm pretty pissed off about it and I specifically asked the Genius before sending it if they are careful with the products. He told me yes and that if I wasn't satisfied with something that they would do a replacement.

I'm wondering if he was 100% sure on what he was saying because I plan to call Applecare tomorrow and request a repair of the scratch or replacement.

2. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Provided they accept the responsibility for the scratch, they will replace / repair it.

If they start trying to put it on you, I would start looking around for any pics you have of it, as close to the date you sent it in as possible!

3. oplix thread starter macrumors 65816

oplix

Yea it sucks because I was already thinking about doing some pics right before he took it, but then he started talking to me about something else and I forgot to do it.

4. nwbusa macrumors regular

That's unfortunate. I would definitely let them know ASAP since you don't want too much time to pass between when you had it in for repair and when you notify them of the damage.

I had something similar happen a couple of years ago with a Macbook -- took it in to get it fixed, got it back with scratches and not properly reassembled. That's why even though I bought AppleCare for my new MBP, I would only take it in for a serious problem that I couldn't fix myself (example -- the fan went out on the MPB, and I sourced a replacement fan online for $50 since I knew I could replace it myself).

Bottom line is, I am sure most Apple techs are reasonably careful with customer's products, but nobody will ever be as careful with your computer as you are. Good luck in getting it resolved!

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I am, actually. I disinfect and clean my ESD pad of all debree and stuff before almost every new Mac I fix.

But then again, I am pretty anal about tidyness at work. Accidents can happen, and they should fix that display of yours if you claim it was caused during repair. One important thing though, be civil and polite. If you start off by yelling at them, they won't be very positive with helping you. :)