AppleCare Repair Denial

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jstjck, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jstjck, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

jstjck macrumors newbie

Hi All,

5 days after my AC expired on my 2008 MBP 17", the thing totally crapped itself and wouldn't turn on. After much help from threads here and the support site, I was able to knock out a few potential fixes.

I rang Apple & spoke with a senior advisor who gave an exception to get the machine repaired. Full of paranoia, I photographed my laptop before taking it into a service repairer (too difficult to get to Apple Store).

Then all hell broke loose. The authorised agent was totally useless and I don't think they know what customer service means. I called apple per their demand, they didn't know anything about it & had to chase the agent. 1.5 days later I get a call saying the laptop doesn't sit flat - is that the problem? No - explained the no turning on. They then said there is a v-shape bend in the machine and that makes "accidental damage" and they won't repair.

This laptop left the house all of about 6 times over the 3 year period. It didn't really move about the house often either and I was always very diligent with caring for it (it did cost a small fortune after all!). It was never dropped and the only real issue was a slight depression near the optical drive which the genius at the apple store 3 months ago said was a design fault due to being where you rest your hands to type.

Escalated the decision & got put through to a 'customer relations officer'. After 2 more days of running around she rang me today to say that essentially the logic board has gone (seems very common in this model) and they needed to repair something else as well. Add to this the labour cost and the fact they weren't sure it was going to be fully repaired, the cost ended up being almost the same as a new machine. Still refuse to do anything about it and got a lame offer for a voucher to use towards a new machine.

I don't expect a brand spanker and had this happened in say 9-12 months time I would deal with the situation differently but I cannot help but feel robbed. I have no idea about 'said damage' and I forked out great money not just for the machine (>$4K) but for the AC as well. I expect that it should last longer than it has or at least they stand by the AC offering.

A very long story for an OP I know but I'd really appreciate if anyone has any advice or similar experience they can share. I don't want to get rolled on this and as my primary machine, I feel lost without it :(

TIA Peeps.

EDIT: On a side note - this was purchased under Apple Financial Services and carries a chattel mortgage... Is there anything on that side to help either?

2. Spiral21x macrumors newbie

I don't really have much advice but a sort of similar experience. My 2008 MBP 17incher (high res, no gloss, small fortune etc). My AC ran out about 2 months ago. 30 days later the machine craps out.

I bring it to the genius and they actually agreed to repair it under AC, until they opened it up and saw my SSD and aftermarket ram (stupid me I know). So then they denied the repair. This was a week ago, I'm thinking of trying again after putting the original HD back in except I somehow lost one of the enclosure pieces so I can't put the original back in properly and I'm afraid they'll just notice again. Plus I don't have my original ram anymore. I did this upgrade over a year ago, no way anything I did caused this.

So now my $3k+ machine is a paperweight. I've never had another issue and this was my first AC visit (probably why they agreed in the first place). Does anybody know if I try again will they just see my previous visit and deny me right away? Should I bother finding some original ram on ebay? At this point we're getting on 2 months after my AC ran out, but for the amount of $ I spent on that I feel robbed as well. I can sell it for parts and get $300 whippee.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

HDD and ram can be change by user and it won't affect applecare. They should fix your mac.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If it is an early 2008 then these changes were not authorized user changeable parts (I have done it and it is no big deal, but it was not an authorized swap for the end user in that particular model). Considering that the late 2008 (which was a unibody, that the early 2008 was not) didn't arrive until October, I think this is the case.

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

2008? Did they charge you?

After 3 years, its prob time for a new company anyway

6. Spiral21x macrumors newbie

Yea it was early 08 non unibody, so not authorized I guess. I'm thinking of calling support and complaining, maybe I'll get some credit or something too.

----------

Me? I was not charged because they didn't do any work. Yes it is time for a new machine, that isn't the point. I was going to sell that mbp for a decent return. Now it's worth much less.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Except for the fact that his Applecare ran out two months before the problem.

Spiral--You shouldn't feel "robbed" because they didn't fix your machine AFTER Applecare ran out. They did exactly what they agreed to do--don't be shocked/horrified/disappointed/"feel robbed" that Apple did what you both agreed to.

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

If there's physical damage, you're likely out of luck.

To the second user with the 2008 17" MBP - you really had a good chance of getting taken care of, except for the part where you lost the enclosure piece. I would buy a new one, as well as spending the $25 or so on some Apple RAM (craigslist, ebay, etc.) and send it back in. It's mildly inconvenient, but you'd be saving a lot of money in the long run with a working/sellable computer afterwards.

Apple has no liability to fix a laptop once it's out of warranty, they do so at times as a courtesy, but it's not a requirement. Physical damage will almost always nullify this possibility, and you should always hold onto the original parts your computer shipped with. Really no excuse for losing bits and then being annoyed that they wouldn't fix it.

9. Spiral21x macrumors newbie

No I was actually quite surprised that they were willing to do that. Just annoyed that they then denied me because I had done a simple upgrade myself. Robbed was the wrong word. I know I have mostly myself to blame here.

10. Spiral21x macrumors newbie

Just took another look, I didn't actually lose anything. I put the harddrive back in its original state and I just ordered a stick of original Ram. Yes inconvenient, but worth the free $500 fix and then having a working machine with more value, yes certainly. thank you