Applecare repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CardboardDoom, May 13, 2010.

1. CardboardDoom macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, just looking for a bit of help here. I dropped off my Macbook Pro (purchased late 07) at my local Apple store last Wednesday, around 8pm. They determined the problem was that the logic board needed to have connections fixed or be replaced. I was told by the employee and on my receipt that it should be done 3-5 days, but it's now day 8. I really need this as soon as possible. Does anyone have an estimate on how much longer it should take, or any actions I could take to get it faster? Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's probably 3-5 business days, which could be longer if they had to order another logic board for you. In any case I'd just call the store and ask what's going on.

3. Mirabella macrumors regular

I had a logic board replaced by Applecare earlier this week. It was remarkably fast. To the best of my recollection:

1) I called Apple Support on Monday, to request a repair;

2) I received a box to ship my MacBook Pro to Apple on Tuesday, at about 4 PM;

3) I gave the boxed MBP to Federal Express to ship, just before 5 PM on Tuesday;

4) First thing, Wednesday morning, I received an email that the repair center had received my MBP;

5) By 3 PM Wednesday, I received an email from the repair center saying that they've repaired it and shipped it back to me.

6) By 1 PM on Thursday, I had my MBP back, with a new logic board and a new hard drive. :)

Previously, I brought my MBP to an Apple Store, to get a defective screen replaced. That repair was also finished rapidly, and returned to me two days after I dropped it off, with a replaced screen.

4. DoorMouse macrumors member

you're lucky. My sister just dropped off her macbook at an authorised repair centre (not the apple store, because she couldn't get a genius appointment for two and a half weeks), and they said it would take two weeks before they even looked at it, then if it was the logic board that needed replacing, another week or so to order the parts and replace it. :(

I would call them though and see how the repair is going- tell them you need the computer urgently, and bug them :)

5. CardboardDoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, called Apple. Had probably the stupidest phone call I've ever been on in my entire life.

First, called the apple store I dropped it off at with the phone number on the receipt. The employee that answered was completely useless. I told him my situation, which is I need this computer back soon, I was told 3-5 days 8 days ago, I know how to access the online repair status and see it's still being prepared and just looking for some more information. He transferred me to a woman from Applecare's department, who I could tell by her voice did not want to talk to me. I told her the same story, so she says she's going to put me on hold...so she can call the store I was just transferred from. I'm on hold for about 17 minutes. She comes back basically saying "No one answered from the store", and right then another voice says "Actually I'm in this call to" or something to that effect. So applecare woman doesn't want to help, and has no idea who shes bringing into my call, and no idea she's doing it at all. Fantastic. The new voice confirms my phone number and says he'll call me back after he calls the store. He calls back 5 minutes later saying the parts have been in stock, and the laptop's being repaired and should be done within the next day.

Thanks apple.

6. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

Bud you need to learn Consumerism 101. You haven't done -anything- yet which will get your Mac faster.

7. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have learned to never, did I say never have your item repaired at an Apple Store. I call AppleCare, have a box sent and ship it to a Repair Depot. The two times that I needed service, I received the box the next day and my computer was returned to me within two or three days. Do you want a technician that works on multiple machines a day or the guy stuck in the back of the house and can't even get the cool t shirt? My one Apple Store experience was for a replacement hard drive and it took two weeks. I imagine that they couldn't figure out the static free bracelet...

8. CardboardDoom thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not trying to get it faster, I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

9. mcfinch macrumors member

Give them a call!!! Then you will know right away.