Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cpeye1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hey everyone,

So (like a moron) I left my new iPhone 7 plus on a radiator all night about two weeks ago. Heat isn't good for the battery so naturally now it's not holding as much of a charge as it used to.

I have AppleCare but the last time I went in to discuss the issue, they said the battery health was fine and they couldn't do anything about it. This is frustrating because I clearly know the battery isn't what it used to be.

My question is should I just accidentally drop it and go get a new one like that or keep pressing about the battery issue?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Did you mention that you accidentally left it on a radiator all night? Surely that would be classed as accidental damage and it can therefore go through AppleCare +.

Reactions: dictoresno

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm surprised it didn't sustain more damage. Have you updated the iPhone at all since it was on the radiator?

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Hey everyone,

So (like a moron) I left my new iPhone 7 plus on a radiator all night about two weeks ago. Heat isn't good for the battery so naturally now it's not holding as much of a charge as it used to.

I have AppleCare but the last time I went in to discuss the issue, they said the battery health was fine and they couldn't do anything about it. This is frustrating because I clearly know the battery isn't what it used to be.

My question is should I just accidentally drop it and go get a new one like that or keep pressing about the battery issue?

Doubt that would work as you are no doubt on record with Apple as having a problem.What did they suggest as a fix? How old is it? If under 90 days and bought with a CC test the waters with them (Purchase Protection).

Last edited:
Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If the battery tests out within the required parameters then they will not replace it.
If you break it they will replace it and you'll have to pay the $99 and use up one out of two of your replacements. And even then if its just the screen that's cracked they might replace just the screen and leave the rest the same.
Up to you.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hey everyone,

This is because Apple's diagnostic shows the average battery health capacity over the last two weeks. So as time goes on, their system will be able to detect the issue. If you have a Mac, you can download Coconut Battery and you will get a real time number of your battery health. This will then determine if you should go back to Apple.

For the record. Intentionally breaking your phone is insurance fraud.

Reactions: nordique and ABC5S

Cpeye1987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
This is because Apple's diagnostic shows the average battery health capacity over the last two weeks. So as time goes on, their system will be able to detect the issue. If you have a Mac, you can download Coconut Battery and you will get a real time number of your battery health. This will then determine if you should go back to Apple.

For the record. Intentionally breaking your phone is insurance fraud.

Thanks everyone, ill keep monitoring the battery and see what they say.

ApplePersonFreak

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2016
Thanks everyone, ill keep monitoring the battery and see what they say.

Yeah normally if apple's system says the battery is good, they won't replace whether if you have AC+ or not. They have to log the symptoms down when they do any repair and if they do a repair on something that is showing has good health, they can get in trouble for it.

On the AC+ site, it says you can get a free battery replacement if it retains less than 80% of the charge capacity.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
REALLY ... are you saying that with a clear conscience ... like, is that your sense of entitlement kicking in?
Clearly it's fault but Apple won't admit it. Creating viewable damage will work for the employees who don't bother to test.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Did you mention that you accidentally left it on a radiator all night? Surely that would be classed as accidental damage and it can therefore go through AppleCare +.

It's amazing how those details always seem to get left out when contemplating and pleading your case to Apple. But fortunately, Apple is far smarter than most understand.

Reactions: old-wiz

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
If it hisses, even slightly, when held up to your ear. They will most likely replace it. They will also replace it if there is background hissing while taking videos. They will consider it an in warranty replacement. Ymmv and you might have to escalate past a genius.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I asked if it was electric or water. Reason being if it was a water filled radiator then it really doesn't get hot enough to do any damage to the battery or internals.

If the phone was on it would have powered off. At that point the phones sat there between 65-80'c and that's if it's a decent heating system and that is just not enough to damage the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.