Applecare replaced my phone, how do I re-pair the watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SCMedic, May 30, 2016.

1. SCMedic macrumors regular

Applecare warrantied an issue with my phone, but told me not to restore from backup because it may have been a software bug. I know, makes no sense, but whatever...

How do I re-pair my watch without losing a years worth of fitness data?

2. JayLenochiniMac, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think there's a way to extract the AW backup from within the iPhone backup so simply restore as a new AW and pair it to the new backup.

However, were they merely guessing that it might be the corrupted backup that's the culprit? If it was just a guess, I'd restore from the backup anyway and see if it occurs again. You should have a 90-day extension of the existing warranty if applicable and can replace it again if the backup is indeed the culprit.

3. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

Man we really need to be able to backup the watch to iCloud ...

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not think so as most of the data is kept on the iPhone.

This is going to be a problem for many Watch owners wanting to save its data long term.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Corrupted backups are rare though. My wife and I actually have backups going all the way back to original iPhone. It's more of a problem for the anal-retentive types who insist on doing clean installs just because.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Good reason to use iCloud daily and a supplemental (encrypted) iTunes' backup a couple of times a week.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This doesn't really address the issue of the OP's losing fitness/health data as a result of having to do a clean install due to a possible corrupted backup. Once you can no longer use an existing iPhone backup, the AW backup goes with it. That's why I suggested restoring from the backup anyway to see if it's actually the culprit.

If it's corrupted to begin with, both iCloud and iTunes versions are most likely corrupted especially if you find out after the fact.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

They are not that rare as I have friends who had bad back ups and I also had a back up that was corrupted. I have always used back-ups to restore my devices but I have had to use a back up previous to my latest due to it being corrupted.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just because you and your friends have had corrupted backups and my wife and I have never had them are meaningless as they're merely anecdotal. If corrupted backups were common, we'd be hearing a lot more about them right here on MR. The later is a truer indication of how common or rare a particular problem is.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just because you and yours have never . . . . .

You just seem to want to argue. I have read about them here, I did NOT say they were common but for the argument you are trying to change what I said. I suspect you lack friends.:p

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you were to do poll here on MR "Have you ever had a corrupted backup?," the poll results will most likely indicate that it's a rare occurrence. MR tends to attract any mention of problems regardless of how rare or common they are so "having read about them" is meaningless without context. Likewise, more common problems such as the crescent moon camera issue on the iPhone 6/6+ were reported here left and right.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

That would mean your comments are as meaningless as mine. Have a great day Jay, go hit the boardwalk, you might get "lucky"!

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yep, I said it only as an anecdotal. Corrupted backups being rare is backed more by how infrequently they are mentioned right here on MR. If they were more common, their being reported here would be amplified many times.