AppleCare replacement and Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yusukeaoki, Sep 26, 2012.

1. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

No, this is not a thread about "Does Optibay avoid warranty?" :D

My question is, I have a failing Magsafe cord.
    It doesnt charge sometimes and flashing lights.
    I do have my AppleCare and covers the AC adapter as well.
    However, I want to know if when you exchange the Magsafe adapter, do you need to bring in your Mac with you?
    Or can I just bring my adapter and serial number? (Also some kind of identification)

I do have a Optibay in my MBP 2011 and I dont want to go through the hassle of taking it out just to get the adapter exchanged.
    (I also did mess up on one of the screws so I have to replace that as well so it wont be noticed.)

Then it comes to removing the optibay.
    If I do need to bring my Mac, do I just shut my mac off and remove optibay?
    Or do I need to manually eject it on Finder then remove it?

Thanks!

2. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I do not see any reason to worry about taking your MBP with you (and I doubt even if it is required) to get a Power Adapter replaced.. I think a simple call to your Repair Centre would sort that out..

I also have an Optibay/HDD and SSD in my 2011 MBP.. Don't see any connection to worry about, BUT if you were to take the computer in for 'internal issues' that may be another case.. If they had to send it away for replacement, etc you certainly would likely want to have swapped it out before the hassle of hearing what harm you did to it, which I doubt would be the case, but.. :apple:

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Try taking it in with optibay installed. No reason for them to poke around in the internals if it's a known MagSafe cord failure, right?

4. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Before I call the repair center, I probably would go to the Genius Bar to see if they can just replace it.
    I was wondering they might hook it up to my Mac and see if it really doesnt work.
    Then they would see my second device or another HDD logo on the finder.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Just bring your power cord in only and have them test on their machine. If you bring in your machine they will test to try to see if the port on the macbook is messed up rather then the power cord. The genius ran a hardware test and notice the superdrive was messed up (I had accidentally left the optibay in). I told him I don't care if it messed up just focus on the power adaptor and he did.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

To be quite honest, I doubt they would even care.. There is NO Possible Correlation between anything you have added/done and an External Power Supply Failure.. Period.. ** If your DOG chewed through the cable, then that would be a Warranty Void, otherwise I am sure you will be good..

From the Apple Folks I have met in Service, they are VERY Good People and not 'out to get you' in any way, up here in Canada at least!! :p

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For issues like this, I find it easier to just call Applecare. It only takes a day or two for the replacement part to show up and the box includes a return shipping label.

If you live fairly close to an Apple store, I guess I understand why taking in might be easier. Personally, I try to avoid the place because of the issues I've had with the genius bar in the past. I also just don't like dealing with the crowds.

8. yusukeaoki thread starter macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah I can drive and be there in 15min.
    Thats what Im worried about.
    For my past I met couple aholes as geniuses.
    Not my best service I received.

I just dont want them voiding my Apple Care for a optibay mod since I payed 300 bucks for that thing.

9. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

No they don't check the internals of your machine, I've had this done before. I'd bring your machine, but the most they'll do is plug in the charger to it, then plug it into another machine (if it isn't a physical defect) to check if it works there. If there's a physical defect or it doesn't work, then you'll get a replacement.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

See, this was actually a problem I ran into.

I took my A/C adapter in because I noticed that the cord was starting to fray near the transformer end. I showed the genius the warranty extension. I was then told that anything like this was caused by physical abuse and that it wasn't covered. I spoke with the store manager and was told the same thing. I was pretty pissed, so I called Applecare while standing in front of the manager, explained the situation, and they set me up with a replacement adapter. It arrived at my house 2 days later.

11. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Breaking from that area is well noted across the internet, and many of Apple's own forums. I guess it just depends on how the Genius is feeling that day, although personally I've gotten a replacement before. It seems apple is afraid of lawsuits from fire hazards, so if the adapter is broken in such a way that it could possibly cause a fire, they usually replace it.