Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulli26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi everyone first of all let me start off by saying that this forum has helped me many times over the years but unfortunately i have to ask this question since i cant find it anywhere in my searches.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro 13" with apple care, this laptop is breaking my heart with numerous issues/faults which i wont bore you with but it has come to the stage that apple have stepped up and hinted towards a replacement .

My question to everyone is.... what would you do since the next macbook would be out soon ( im guessing wait for the new ones of course) and would they give me a macbook pro retina ?
I understand i should take what they give but i would really like to hear of peoples experiences .

Thanks in advance

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
what would you do since the next macbook would be out soon ( im guessing wait for the new ones of course) and would they give me a macbook pro retina ?
Apple replaces like machines when doing warranty work, that is if you have a 2012 MBP, then they'll repair/replace with a 2012 refurb MBP.

On rare occasions when a customer has had a lot of problems, they may offer a new machine but you cannot expect his as its incredibly rare and usually because a customer had excessive issues with the computer.

sulli26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for the feedback , i think i'll follow your advice and get it swapped out , beggars cant be choosers and as long as it solves my problem i'm happy .

carlyinoz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
I'd at least ask if its possible to upgrade to retina. I recently had my mid 2010 MBP replaced after a host of logic board issues and I was given the option to upgrade the base model by paying the standard costs for each - $120 to upgrade to 8gb & $120 for antiglare. I've gone from having a problematic almost 3 year old snail to having a zippy machine with a greatly improved screen for the small cost of $240 and you can be sure i'm thankful i had applecare! Whilst I'm guessing it would be seen as a different model and therefore not an option, it can't hurt to ask.

sulli26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks Carlyinoz, its good to hear peoples experiences it give me a better picture of how to deal with them , thanks again.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
If Apple does do a replacement, they will use new computers, not refurbs. You start fresh, with a new 1 year warranty, as well (so be sure to get a pro-rated refund on your current AppleCare and buy it again for the replacement). If your model is no longer available, they will find a current model that most closely matches the specs. And yes, you can ask to upgrade during a replacement. They may comp the upgrade or let you pay for it.

scbond

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2010
Nottingham, UK
If Apple does do a replacement, they will use new computers, not refurbs.

Not necessarily. They would only replace old for new if they are at fault and you effectively never got what you paid for. If it has been faulty from the start and they insisted on repairs after the returns period then maybe. However, if it developed a fault later down the line and the MBP can no longer be effectively repaired they will replace with a refurbished machine of the same model.

OP, if you wait and the cMBP is discontinued then they will have no option but to replace it with a refurbished machine. If a brand new machine is on the cards (the situation is like I have described as above) then do it now before the brand new ones are gone.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Not necessarily. They would only replace old for new if they are at fault and you effectively never got what you paid for. If it has been faulty from the start and they insisted on repairs after the returns period then maybe. However, if it developed a fault later down the line and the MBP can no longer be effectively repaired they will replace with a refurbished machine of the same model.

OP, if you wait and the cMBP is discontinued then they will have no option but to replace it with a refurbished machine. If a brand new machine is on the cards (the situation is like I have described as above) then do it now before the brand new ones are gone.

This might be different in the UK then. I worked for AppleCare in the US and replacements through customer relations was always with a new Mac.

carlyinoz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010

Not true, well not in Australia anyway. My MBP (a mid 2010 refurb) developed logic board issues after about a year and after three replacements and continuing issues, culminating in it kernel panicking the day after I picked it up from Apple having been told all was OK, they agreed to replace it. And they replaced it with a brand spanking new one, and allowed me to upgrade as I described above. I was actually quite shocked, especially considering mine was a refurb originally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.