Applecare replacement process after refresh

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by drewsof07, Nov 17, 2013.

1. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I have active coverage on my 2010 Quad MP through 2014. If something were to go wrong (god forbid) between December X, 2013 and the end of my warranty period that was beyond repair, would Apple swap it out for a refurb or make me upgrade to the latest revision without all my fabulous internal storage? With my '08 they were unable to repair, I was given a hot swap for a comparable 2010/11. Apparently it was more cost effective to do that than pay shipping back to the repair depot a second time :eek:

I have searched the forums, but nothing specific to this scenario. This question is probably more for folks with experience working through repair/replacement during product transitions/redesigns (e.g. G5 to Intel, etc.).

Thanks for your insight! :apple:

2. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

From my experience they will replace your computer after the 3rd visit/repair. Ymmv

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

All decent companies including Apple keep stock specifically for warranty and service replacements, repair, and spare parts. I don't see how anyone can predict when they will run out of stock, but a year sounds well within that timeline to me.

4. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

5. Rich.Cohen macrumors regular

California Civil Code, Sec. 1793.03.
    (a) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than ninety-nine dollars and ninety-nine cents ($99.99), shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least three years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the three-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.

(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.

I don't know if this applies if you are not in California, but Apple is in California. I believe there is also a US law relating to auto parts, but I'm not certain.