Applecare+ replacement question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliciadear, Oct 22, 2014.

1. aliciadear macrumors member

I have an iphone 5 that has had a tough life. I've spilled drinks in it and dropped it in water and on the ground, but it still works, albeit slow and sometimes glitchy.

Here's my question. My applecare+ expires on the 24th and I want to use a replacement to get a fresh iphone 5 since I don't know when I'll want to use my upgrade and I'd like a less bogged down phone.

Do I need to destroy my phone in order for them to give me a replacement? The cost for replacement with my applecare+ is $50 I believe (I think it went up with the 5s) and I'm obviously willing to pay it.

Will I have problems getting it replaced the day before my applecare expires?

Thanks for any and all insight you can offer.

2. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

...... You're going to destroy your phone to get an AppleCare replacement? :rolleyes:

3. aliciadear thread starter macrumors member

Do I need to destroy it in order for them to let me pay the deductible for a new one? I may end up keeping the 5 for 2 more years and want to have a "fresh" one. Or will they just let me ask for a replacement because I find it slow and glitchy? My applecare+ expires in 2 days and if it decides to stop working in 3 days, I'll be SOL. I would like a phone that hasn't been dropped in water and had mimosa spilled up in it.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

No problem. Just tell the truth that you dropped it in water and it's unreliable. It should be covered by AppleCare.

5. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

You should be honest and ethical.
    Tell them that it is not performing and show them.

Purposely ruining the phone to get a replacement is dishonest and unethical.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Instead of dropping it on purpose, just go to the apple store, tell them that your applecare + is about to expire and tell them that your phone has been glitchy and that you've done everything (restoring your phone and setting up as new) and that it's still glitchy.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

if you dropped it in water the water sensor would be red, thus a valid reason to pay for a replacement under applecare+