AppleCare Replacement Service Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonno11, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jonno11 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm in the UK, I've been experiencing countless issues with my 13" Mid-2011 Macbook Pro for approaching 3 years now (HDD failures). I've countless replacements and various other things go wrong, and given my impending expiry of AppleCare, decided to take the issue a little further in an attempt to get it fixed before my cover finished.

As what often seems to be the case, Apple have been excellent with their customer service. They have offered me a replacement machine, being the 2014 Retina 13". This is a fantastic offer, and I'm excited to finally have a proper working machine.

In order for the replacement to happen, I need to await some labels and packages in which to send off my Mac. Upon receipt of the Mac, Apple will then ship the new MB over to me. This process is expected to take a minimum of 2 weeks.

The only issue is, I'm a freelance software developer, with a few very volatile clients. This means any time away from my machine is essentially non-working days, and is a huge issue when it comes to maintaining the relationships with my clients (and delivering the projects!). When presented with the opportunity of a new MB, I was blinded and blurted out "yes!" before thinking of the ramifications of having no machine for an unknown amount of time.

To me, it seems odd I can't do this switch in-store. I live a ~5 minute walk from my nearest Apple Store, which would be ideal. I asked the customer service representative if it would be possible to do the switch in the store, but he said no. Do you guys have any experience with this, or any advice as to how I could go about pushing for this to happen? I don't want to appear ungrateful, but I am seriously concerned for the lack of working time, especially as we're approaching the climax of a number of projects!

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Wasn't sure if this was in the right section, please let me know if not!

2. Gman021 macrumors regular

I am in the US but instead of waiting for them to receive my broken computer they put a hold on my credit card for the amount and took the hold off once they received the computer.

This way they sent the replacement out immediately.