AppleCare Replacement Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrew086, May 22, 2010.

1. andrew086 macrumors regular

I purchased the i5 MBP 15" (base model) and I have the glossy screen. I'm kind of wishing I'd saved up $150 more to get the antiglare, but I don't think it's a huge deal. I was just wondering if anytime in the future my computer needed to be replaced by AppleCare for some reason, would I be able to pay to get it with the anti-glare or do I absolutely have to get the same specs I'd purchased it with?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not sure what's Apple's policy about this but I think it depends on the rep you're dealing with. Keep in mind that you have 14 days to return it so if you're inside that period, switch it for the antiglare one

3. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Reps would probably argue against it, but getting a manager would solve the problem. I did this years ago when the unibody MBPs came out and I got the top of the line and had to cover the extra $500.

But like Hellhammer said, if you within the 14 days just go exchange it otherwise you will start finding ways to get it replaced. (ie. how hard can i slam the top cover and still keep the hinge intact)

4. andrew086 thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased it on Amazon. I can return it within 30 days minus the 15% restocking fee, but I don't really want to pay $260 to return it, then $150 to add anti-glare. I don't think a matte finish is worth $410 :p

hmm... my screen has a very small bit of a yellow tinge at the bottom, maybe I can complain since it's only 2 weeks old..hehe

but I don't think I'll need to TRY to get it replaced, it's not that big of a deal. Next time they refresh the MBPs I'll know to get the anti-glare.

5. nconnella macrumors regular

From personal experience, Apple has no problem if you want to pay the difference to upgrade from the model they want to provide you with. I paid to upgrade to the high res. After all it's SOME money in their pocket. I did not have to speak to a manager or anything. Note I did this on the phone, not in store.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can always call them and ask if you could upgrade to the antiglare model as the glossy doesn't really suit for you. I've heard dozens of cases where this was possible and no restocking fee was asked