Applecare replacing 7300gt $562

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brendon2020, Sep 19, 2009.

1. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

Have the 2.66 mac pro with applecare and the video card has been acting up and apple said they would replace it.
    Gave me 3 options: send somebody out, send the new part and i mail back the old one, or bring it into the apple store.
    Given the mac pro weighs a ton (i have to bring in the whole computer) and i've been building computers for 10+ years i felt i could handle replacing the video card but they wanted a credit card to make sure that i would send back the old one. I know I should've asked how much but in the back of my mind it couldn't be more than $200. They sent me the invoice and i checked my card and they changed $562.76.

I know I should've asked but really? $562.76? They're currently selling a gtx 285 for $450 and the 7300gt in it day, if it had one, was no way near that price. I've called apple and they've apologized for not letting me know, even though i take the blame on that one, and will refund the money and send somebody out to replace the card. Hopefully the hold will be lifted soon.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Gomff macrumors 6502a

You have to wonder how long Apple can keep getting away with their exorbitant GPU prices.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Hopefully this thread comes up for anyone else searching for such information. Luckily Apple like to maintain their good customer service reputation, because billing you that without making it clear is pretty disgusting behaviour unless the person doing it was totally oblivious. You can pick them up for $200 new from apple parts supplliers, and for under $100 used.

You should have tried to get a 2600XT out of them really.

5. grue macrumors 65816

Service parts always have been and always will be more expensive than retail parts. It's part of the game.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm actually surprised Apple doesn't sell AppleCare many other major computer companies sell their support—buy with the machine it's quite cheap, buy it a day afterwards, expect to pay twice as much if not more.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what's the big deal, you said it was only a hold on your card until you returned the old part that was broken as part of your applecare warranty... this shouldn't be any problem for you and the hold will be off your card soon enough.

8. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Until the majority of idiots who buy them realize that theyre getting ripped off.

Lets face it, most mac users arent all that tech savvy. The ones in this forum, are, however they are a small fraction of the entire mac user base. Apple will milk its customers for as long as possible. Until the issue is made known to all its customers, NOTHING will change.

9. MacVidCards Suspended

Thank GOD you didn't have a couple sketchy RAM sticks too, could have been $3,000 or $4,000 !!!

10. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Hey I've got a 7300 here in my inventory - I'll sell it to you for $250. Rock bottom pricing!

;-)

11. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

When my 8800GT blew up in my 08 MP, I got it replaced under AppleCare.

The deal was, they shipped the card to me, I swapped it and returned the defective one within a fortnight. If they failed to receive it within the 14 days they were going to charge me AU$717. Which was outrageous. That card sold for AU$399 on the website and the new ATI 4870 was AU$699.

I replaced the card and bought the 4870 a week later.

12. yoink macrumors member

yoink

I have two Apple-sourced 7300GTs from a Mac Pro sitting in our shelf-of-damned-equipment.

They're up for grabs. No reasonable offer turned away.

We like carrots.

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

+1^99

I would be totally pissed! I would be like, brick-through-the-window-twice-a-month pissed!

Seriously!

14. jofallon macrumors newbie

Applecare

I've got a defective HD2600 XT they're replacing. They value the new one they're sending me at $199.00.